Brakes upgrade from mech to hydraulic

kinioo
kinioo Posts: 776
edited April 2015 in MTB buying advice
OK,

I really fed up with my mechanical brakes on my old Spec Hardrock.

I wasn't going to change them as I want to keep the bike as a holiday bike / spare / pub bike etc, however as I still haven't found my new bike I am using the old one for local MTB rides twice a week.

During last trip to Epping forest both front & rear brakes gave up totally.

It has happened third time - usually it was rear brake but now both.

OK - want to replace them with a pair of entry level (nothing serious) hydraulic ones.

Question: what would be a good deal at the mo and also what would fit my bike ??

Is something like this OK and will it fit to my old bike (I think its something like 2008 hardrock):

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/clar ... prod120227

Cheers

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Assuming your bike is disc ready and has seprate shifters, yes.
    You may need new adapters.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • kinioo
    Sorry, yes it has already disc brakes but mech and has separate shifters.

Yes, I may need new adapters (I think the brakes form my link have got adapters already haven't they ?)

Will take few photos (when back home) of my old bike / brake configuration so it might be easier for you to advise what brakes / adapters / rotors I may need.

Chris
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    New hydros (levers to callipers) should just bolt on using your existing gear (adaptors and rotors).
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    In this case yes unless he has a (pretty unlikely I admit) 140mm PM mount at the rear or a 180mm PM mount at the front.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kinioo
    The Rookie wrote:
    In this case yes unless he has a (pretty unlikely I admit) 140mm PM mount at the rear or a 180mm PM mount at the front.

Thanks Rookie - I will try to post some pictures so you can comment on it.

Now assuming the new hydros will fit would the ones from my link be OK or should I go for something else i.e. shimano / Avid etc ??

C.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    A good choice would be buying some Shimano Deore m615 brakes as replacements these aren't expensive and are good stoppers.

I think they must be about 25 each from crc.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    +1 for Deore. Remove the old brakes but not the adapters which can usually be re-used
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • kinioo
    swod1 wrote:
    A good choice would be buying some Shimano Deore m615 brakes as replacements these aren't expensive and are good stoppers.

I think they must be about 25 each from crc.

They are currently @ £38 which means £76 quid for a set - bit too much bearing in mind my whole bike is worth probably £150 or less !?!
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    You could just get one and try it. Having good brakes really changes the way you ride the bike as you can brake harder and later due to having more powerful brakes, with better feel you can trust. Anything below Deore is not really worth upgrading to. If you buy a new bike in the future you can always move your new brakes onto it.
  • kinioo
    Guys here are some photos:

Front:

f1.jpg

f2.jpg

f3.jpg

rear:

r1.jpg

r2.jpg
  • Chunkers1980
    Yep, it's like I said.
  • kinioo
    Yep, it's like I said.

Cheers Chunkers !
  • John Wh
    John Wh Posts: 239
    Give Clarks M2 a go. £40 for front and rear (including rotors). Got to say I'm impressed with mine as they were just temporary until I could get better. I don't think I'm going to bother for a while as these are great for the price.
  • kinioo
    John Wh wrote:
    Give Clarks M2 a go. £40 for front and rear (including rotors). Got to say I'm impressed with mine as they were just temporary until I could get better. I don't think I'm going to bother for a while as these are great for the price.

Ordered Shimano Deore M615 Disc Brake Set as the were @ 10% off in cleanout and also applied another 5% promo code so got them @ £60 front & rear with rotors !!

Chris
  • Chunkers1980
    But are the new rotors the same size as yours? Otherwise to use the new you'll need new brackets.
  • kinioo
    But are the new rotors the same size as yours? Otherwise to use the new you'll need new brackets.

160 I think so should be OK if not will stick to the old ones.

We will see when it arrives !!!
  • John Wh
    John Wh Posts: 239
    kinioo wrote:
    John Wh wrote:

Ordered Shimano Deore M615 Disc Brake Set as the were @ 10% off in cleanout and also applied another 5% promo code so got them @ £60 front & rear with rotors !!

Chris

Billy bargain :) Probably won't do much better than that!
  • kinioo
    Brakes installed yesterday.

All good, but must say it's not so obvious what you should do when installing them...no instruction to follow.

I was installing hydaulic brakes on bicycle first time and it toak me about 20min, so all in all im happy.

Also they are apparently bled and ready to go but as they are not fully assembled - lever is disconnected from the brake hose - you have to do it, so I think to get 100% of them additional bleeding will be required as the levers feel a bit spongy. They do work but I think they should do better.

Will try them tonight.

Chris
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    I've found with shimano that pumping the levers firm them up