Carbon components

The secret rider
The secret rider Posts: 812
edited March 2015 in Road buying advice
I'm about a month into road cycling and loving it however its a different world from downhill thats for sure.

Its natural that in the time i have been 'into' road cycling i have been looking about developing certain wants for certain nice components.

As with most things i turned to Ebay to hunt out bargains and was shocked at the amount of what i can only assume is 'fake' or copied products from China / Tiwan etc.

A prime example of this is these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-31-8-400m ... 58c0cde78a

So naturally i think wow these are decent, claimed weight is almost the same as real ones and they look good.

but no . . . they wont be strong enough or could break etc

So i research it and several threads seems to say that all the gear out there is made in the same factories and is just re branded where as an equal number of places say steer clear etc but no people in the threads have ridden them or had them snap but like me are sceptical they could be good enough.

So i ask . . whats your thoughts ?

Are they worth a go, can they really be unsafe, do they all come from the same place. ?

All views welcome.

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Same factory? Perhaps some, but not much. Same moulds? More likely as many are stolen/sold.

With counterfeit goods there is no QC or accountability. You may think it's the same because it looks the same, but there are many different types/grades of carbon out there as well different ways to layup said carbon. What you get with the knock-offs is the look, but that's it. Take the old Spec S-Works saddle for example. It's actually one of the stiffest out there and requires brute force to flex it. You can buy one from China off eBay, but it flexes more than Arnie.

Buy at your own risk and don't expect any sympathy or recourse when it breaks.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    As above.

Also worth noting that a top end alu stem can cost half as much and weight less than a carbon one. Carbon frames, wheels and to an extent seat posts sure - but bars and stems just aren't worth it IMO.
  • In regards to stems, the Kalloy Uno 7 is pretty much the gold standard for weight weenies:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KALLOY-UNO-PO ... 3ce547820c

110g for 100mm (I've weighed my own) and if you were really desperate, you could drop another 10g with titanium bolts, and made of aluminium. Lighter than most of the top end stems. And even better, the decals are easily removed with nail polish remover to give you a plain black anodised stem.
  • Hmm this is what i was thinking . TBH its not the weight i am worried about although its a consideration. Genuinely just interested in the science behind all this to see if we all could be missing out on some cheap 'unbranded items'

the fact i've fallen in love with these bars but cant afford them is nothing to do with it . . . . :)

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/3t-ergonova-tea ... ck-series/
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    edited March 2015
    Have a look at the Ritchey alloy WCS Evo Curve bars, 250gms and very nice and bike-discount have them @ £41
  • CYCLESPORT1
    CYCLESPORT1 Posts: 471
    Should be o.k with that shop in China as they sell knickers as well: :idea:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/new-Women-Sex ... 1311755743
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    KAlloy Uno 7 is the epitome of bang for buck. Lovely little bit of kit.
  • Grill
    Ritchey WCS C260 stem 110mm + 42cm Ritchey WCS Curve bars = 350 grams
    Ritchey Monocurve integrated carbon bar and stem = 355 grams

(actual weights on my scales)
  • Its the flat (ish) top of the 3t bars i really like.
  • harry-s
    harry-s Posts: 295
    I bought a pair of 50mm deep sections from Yishun a few years ago, mainly for TTs, but used them a fair bit for weekend rides too. After about 12 months (isn't it always...) the front rim became distorted. To be fair to Yishun, they entered into an e-mail dialogue and didn't just ignore me when I complained. As 12 months was up, they agreed to sell me another wheel at a discounted price, and I went for that option. Also worth noting that they weren't branding their wheels, - they're not "Zipps" for instance, just Yishun. I'm not sure I'd feel confident buying something that was starting as a lie from the off.

Secret rider, - I've got those 3T bars on a winter build, - no complaints so far, very comfy and still looking good.
  • diamonddog
    Its the flat (ish) top of the 3t bars i really like.
    The Ritchey Evo Curve has the same wider tops, I have them on one of my bikes, link below to Ritchey.
    http://ritcheylogic.com/
    The carbon ones give a top view photo for reference, the alloy ones are the same shape and the tops look more pronounced with the bar tape on.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Cheap carbon bars from ebay - whats the worst that could happen ?

Oh- quite a bit. I'd never risk it. Save the cheap carbon for bottle cages if you must have some bling.

CF isnt any lighter than alloy usually anyway.
  • Grill
    diamonddog wrote:
    The Ritchey Evo Curve has the same wider tops, I have them on one of my bikes, link below to Ritchey.
    The carbon ones give a top view photo for reference, the alloy ones are the same shape and the tops look more pronounced with the bar tape on.

Sure you're not thinking about the Streem II?
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    Another vote for the EvoCurve bar and 260 stem. I've got the combo on my Cento Uno.

FSA also do compact flat top alu bars too.
  • Another vote for the EvoCurve bar and 260 stem. I've got the combo on my Cento Uno.

FSA also do compact flat top alu bars too.

Looking for them now.

Matte finish flat top ally bars. :D
  • diamonddog
    Grill wrote:
    diamonddog wrote:

Sure you're not thinking about the Streem II?
    No just checked, it's the WCS Carbon Evo Curve Matte UD although it is not as aggressive as the Streem II
  • turbo1191
    turbo1191 Posts: 501
    I have a set of the streem II's.. I can highly recommend them.
  • turbo1191 wrote:

They look nice ! very nice, i am after as flat as possible top to look more aero ahhaha those look nice i assume they come in a matte finish ?

best price for these anyone know ? stem to match ?

light ?
  • diamonddog
    edited March 2015
    275gm, £49.20 bike-discount you can probably find a stem on there too Ritchey C220 or C260.
  • diamonddog wrote:
    275gm, £49.20 bike-discount you can probably find a stem on there too C220 or C260.
    THANKS VERY MUCH looks like they only come in shiny black :(
  • diamonddog
    Try CRC, WCS Streem II £67.50.
  • these look ace !

and are the colour i want

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/3t-a ... prod133723
  • diamonddog
    They look cool but they are heavier and more expensive than the Streem, but hey it's your money. :)
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    turbo1191 wrote:

They look nice ! very nice, i am after as flat as possible top to look more aero ahhaha those look nice i assume they come in a matte finish ?

best price for these anyone know ? stem to match ?

light ?

Don't think weight is a consideration.