23 or 25mm for Mavic Ksyrium Elite

hector88
hector88 Posts: 44
edited March 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi BR,

Looking to get some fast summer tires for my Mavic Ksyrium elite wheels. I know the trend is for 25mm tires... but my wheels are fairly 'boxy' and was wondering if maybe 25mm tires might actually be too wide for those wheels.

Does anyone have any experience using different widths of tire with these wheels?

Comments

• wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397
    I have 25mm Conti GP4000S' fitted to my Ksyriums, and visually, compared to 23's, they look alot taller and more balloon like. They fit on my Cannondale Supersix, but the gap at the rear of tyre to seatpost is very minimal (couple of mm's) and I've noticed the paint has rubbed back to the carbon on the forks.

The ride is very good though, and when I go back to my 23's the 23's do seem harsher.

I'm now trying out a pair of 25mm Vredesteins which seem to be lower profile that the Conti's and there is a fraction little more space, and I hope they have as good grip as the Conti's but less puncture prone. Seem to get 1 a week on the conti's at the moment!
  • hector88
    hector88 Posts: 44
    Thanks. Do you notice any difference in speed (or rolling resistance if you want to be technical...) between 23 and 25?
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    I've used Continental Grand Prix 24mm on my Ksyriums, but am currently running 25mm Michelin pro4 Endurance which come up closer to 27mm wide. Great tyres, and I prefer the fact I can run them at slightly lower pressures on rubbish potholed roads. Quick and comfy.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    Unless there is a problem with the 23mm tires, then I doubt you'd get improvement by using a similar quality/design 25mm.

25's should fit OK on the rims, but the more important question is whether they'd work with the frame.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • My Ultimate CF SLX came with Kysrium SLR's and 25mm tyres as standard...seem to fit just fine.