Tubs under £50?

jaylfc147
jaylfc147 Posts: 49
edited March 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a pair of tubs under £50? It's mainly for TT's and Crit racing. I know I won't get anything too light for this price but just want some suggestions for the best tubs for this price. I have looked around but lots of choice. Was thinking about going up to 25mm.

First time using tubs as well, should I use glue or tape and any recommendations for this?

Cheers

James

Comments

• cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    To be fair I think your asking a bit much. I've sometimes seen good tubs down to £30 a pop but that's rare. Think you'll be looking at £70-£80 on a good day
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Conti Sprinters - around £35 from CRC and brilliant all round tubs. Very much recommended.

HTH
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • jaylfc147
    Cheers for the replies, i've been looking at them Conti Sprinters, think I'll go for them. Is tub tape or glue best to use?
  • Matthewfalle
    Oooooooooooo- now that's a debate :D

I use tape and always have. My friends who ride national and world tri use tape. I used to race cat 1, now race duathlons for fun.

No one I know has ever had problems with tape. I've never heard of any issues with tape.

It's quicker, cheaper, cleaner, less fuss, less time consuming than glue.

Some people swear by glue - I've never used it and don't feel the need to.

Someone will come on here in ten minutes a swear by glue.

Your call really.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Tape is fine if you don't intend to puncture or replace your tub....ever. After that, it's like trying to remove chewing gum from a woollen blanket. I've also seen tape remove carbon from rim beds when being removed. But hey, your wheels will look perfect with no glue residue squishing out the sides :roll:

You should be able to get Conti Competitions for a few quid over £50. Try Tweeks who seem to have stock. Some of the other big players seem to be out of stock....
  • Matthewfalle
    Tape is fine if you don't intend to puncture or replace your tub....ever. After that, it's like trying to remove chewing gum from a woollen blanket. I've also seen tape remove carbon from rim beds when being removed. But hey, your wheels will look perfect with no glue residue squishing out the sides :roll:

You should be able to get Conti Competitions for a few quid over £50. Try Tweeks who seem to have stock. Some of the other big players seem to be out of stock....

Errrrr - negative. Utter tripe.

Every time I've had to take tubs with tape off the tape has stayed attached to the tub, comes off nice and clean.

To remove carbon it's going to have to be somewhat stickier than what it actually is.

It sounds like you've never used it, so I wouldn't go casting aspersions.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Tape is fine if you don't intend to puncture or replace your tub....ever. After that, it's like trying to remove chewing gum from a woollen blanket. I've also seen tape remove carbon from rim beds when being removed. But hey, your wheels will look perfect with no glue residue squishing out the sides :roll:

Every time I've had to take tubs with tape off the tape has stayed attached to the tub, comes off nice and clean.

To remove carbon it's going to have to be somewhat stickier than what it actually is.

"Utter tripe"
    "Casting aspersions"

Of course I've used tape- it's awful.

Sounds like you've never managed to glue a tub properly morelike :roll:
  • Matthewfalle
    Tape is fine if you don't intend to puncture or replace your tub....ever. After that, it's like trying to remove chewing gum from a woollen blanket. I've also seen tape remove carbon from rim beds when being removed. But hey, your wheels will look perfect with no glue residue squishing out the sides :roll:

"Utter tripe"
    "Casting aspersions"

Of course I've used tape- it's awful.

Sounds like you've never managed to glue a tub properly morelike :roll:

Yup - never needed to when tape is more than good enough.

I was thinking of using a two day multi hour process to fit a bicycle tyre to prove I'm a "real cyclist" but then decided to use one that takes 5 minutes, provides just as good a finish, is cleaner to use and doesn't require scrubbing the rim clean when you want to change the tub. It's probably also cheaper.

But hey, you glue yours on and you're happy. I tape. And have more riding time. It's two options to do the same thing.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    Check the small ads and Ebay.

People seem to buy them, but never actually get round to using them.

I just picked up 2 x Vittoria Cronos in 24mm for 70 Euros (50 quid).

I have NEVER paid more than £50 for a tub, and would never. I have run Vittoria, Mavic, Bontrager, etc....
  • jaylfc147
    Spot on thanks for the advice, i can see the glue v tape debate is down to personal preference but good to hear both sides of the argument.

Will keep an eye out on Ebay but I like the look of the Conti Sprinters. Thanks for all your advice

James