Which chain sprocket for ultegra ?

kingrollo
kingrollo Posts: 3,198
edited March 2015 in Road buying advice
I brought my bike with Ultegra in 2009 - about a year after a injury struck - thats pretty much kept of the bike for the whole time - anyway to cut a long story short I can now ride the bike almost pain free....

My negelected gears started jumping in gears 1, 2, 3 - my mate fitted me a new gear cable at the old one frayed and snapped - went out today - just get clacking in gear 3

Ive done 4500 miles - on the sprocket and chain - I will admit due to frustration it hasn't been well serviced - do I need a chain and sprocket ? - if so which one ?

On the gear hoods it just says shimano flightdeck ? - its not the new block shape levers.......also can I downgrade as use 105 kit (chain and sprocket) - my current level of fitness doesn't demand super light...!!!

Comments

• rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    You can use any Shimano cassette that fits - certainly you can replace Ultegra with 105 as you say. As for chains I would always buy SRAM or KMC or Wipperman/Connex ones and a couple of quick links to aid fitting and removal. I would recommend changing both chain and cassette this time. Also check the teeth on the chai rings for wear just in case.
  • kingrollo
    but how do I know which sproket fits ?

Would this one fit for example

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... lsrc=aw.ds
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Hi kingrollo, good to hear you're riding without pain.

You will need a Shimano-compatible cassette with the right number of gears on it, but any of the model series will fit. So if you have 10-speed, any 10-speed Shimano or SRAM road cassette will fit.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • kingrollo
    i didn't say without pain !!!! - but is more discomfort....

So the one from chain reaction will work ?
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Yes if your bike is 10-speed.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Your mate fitted a new gear cable but did he adjust the gears correctly? You may not need to buy anything. Check out gear adjustment on youtube and see if you can adjust the gears to stop the rattling noise you are experiencing.If not then yes you will need to buy some new parts.
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura