Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0

Kinsman330
Kinsman330 Posts: 2
edited March 2015 in Road buying advice
I have just bought a Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0 and noticed there are no reviews of this model out there that I can find. I originally ordered the Pro 1 but I kept thinking about the Di2 option and eventually I could not resist spending the extra money.

I have been searching for new road bike for two years but with all the different great bikes around it was not an easy choice but I kept coming back the the Defy range. I have not been disappointed, in fact the bike and Di2 have exceeded my expectations as far as comfort and performance are concerned.

The only low point was the lack of upgradability of the stock Di2. The hydraulic shifters have only one port and the bike comes with a three port auction box so adding a satellite shifter was problematic. However, the store I bought the bike from did a deal and I swapped the three port for a five port junction box.

The bike is so smooth and very predictable. I went straight to a tubeless setup but may regret the 23mm tyres rather than stock 25mm in time. Still a new set of 25mm tubeless tyres won't be the end of the world. I have managed some 20 to 30 mile rides so far and a few good hill climbs and the bike is just perfect.

It is probably more than I needed to spend and the Pro 1 was probably the bike to buy in terms of value for money but I confess I did not like the red and black! That said the Di2 really is as good as they say!

I test road all the major competitors bikes and a couple of TI options but all in all for me the Defy really came out on top, I was very tempted by the Synapse but the Defy just had the edge especially when paired with the hydraulic disk brakes.

Comments

• donboogie
    donboogie Posts: 75
    Thanks for the feedback! Good to hear. Still patiently waiting for mine to arrive. Ordered at the end of October and still another 3 or 4 weeks to go.
  • ajkerr73
    ajkerr73 Posts: 318
    I have the Advance Pro 1 as an upgrade from my 2013 Defy 1 ally.

I've only managed about 100km (dry!) on it so far and have been very impressed. The Ultegra shifting is on a different level from my old 105 (which is admittedly ready for new cables).

Feels very positive when putting the effort in on the flat and out of the saddle heading uphill.

I love the colour scheme :-)

Only down side is that I'm having seat post issues and it needs a visit back to the shop to hopefully get that sorted. It was slipping badly at the recommended torque on the clamp and still slipping about 5mm in an hour when the torque was upped by about 10-15% (at the bike shops advice).
  • bobinski
    bobinski Posts: 570
    I took a pro 1 out for a test ride yesterday and beat a few of my best times on strava, 1 uphill by a good 10 seconds on a 1min 30 previous best that riding a planet x sl pro with rs 24,s. I was really surprised. Ultrega didn't seem an upgrade on 105/5800 but the hydraulics did feel nicer than my well set up and much used bb7's on my commuter. The tart in me is not sure about the frame colour though; Just a bit bland.
  • Sumosan
    Sumosan Posts: 3
    I too am the proud owner of a new Advanced Pro 0 to replace my Defy 1. It's much more bike than I need, but since when is it just about need? Absolutely love the bike, really smooth and comfortable but also incredibly responsive. The Di2 is, of course, an unnecessary luxury, but it is certainly great to use and as I had the money I'm really pleased to have spent the extra to get it. I would like slightly larger paddles with a little more of a positive action, but that's a very minor criticism. The brakes work a treat and I love the fact that I've got no cables to worry about. I'm sure the Advanced Pro 1 is equally excellent - thoroughly recommended for those looking to spend a bit of dosh on an all-day bike that'll really go when you press the pedals. By the way, I found it hard to get any info on weight anywhere. Mine is 8kg with Ultegra pedals fitted.