SRAM and Shimano/Campag

ajkerr73
ajkerr73 Posts: 318
edited March 2015 in Road buying advice
Does anyone regularly use separate bikes with SRAM and Shimano/Campagnolo.?

Ie is it a pain in the ass commuting on double tap then riding at the weekends on "standard"?

My good bike and winter bike are both Shimano. I'm waiting on a 105 CAADX being delivered and it's turning into a bit of a saga. I have a feeling they might offer me a rival22 CAADX which has the bonus of hydraulic discs but with SRAM.

Comments

• Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I've got SRAM Red on my winter bike and It's a huge relief at this time of year when I can use my best bike kitted out with 105, chalk and cheese.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I have DA 9000 on my TT bike and Campag SR/Athena on my road bikes. No issues.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Bozman wrote:
    I've got SRAM Red on my winter bike and It's a huge relief at this time of year when I can use my best bike kitted out with 105, chalk and cheese.

Sram Red on the winter bike and 105 on the summer?!
    I ride Claris on the winter bike, Sram on pretty much everything else, ridden 10/11sp Shimano on hire bikes and never found swapping round difficult. I have a mate who has Sram/Shimano/Campag spread across his 3 bikes and has no problem either.
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    SRAM F22 on best, Tiagra on the other. No problems. It's not like there's a huge shift/ With SRAM big push to go a a bigger (physical) gear, Little push to go smaller. Shimano Big lever to go big, little lever to go small.

Don't gave anything with Campagnolo so can't comment there.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • I have bikes with the following 105, Ultegra, Force 22, Red 20, Athena 11, and an MTB with X9.

Some times when I have use the same bike for a bit I an get confused for a short while but I get use to the shifters quick enough
  • ck101
    ck101 Posts: 222
    Mix of SRAM and Shim on my bikes. No issues moving between any.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,974
    I've recently started riding Ultegra after having been riding for the last 12K miles on Centaur/Record.
    Initially I had a few funny moments shifting on Ultegra where I pushed the RH paddle to change to a larger sprocket instead to pushing the brake lever - thereby doing the opposite and going into a smaller sprocket.

But yesterday was a classic. I'm in France at the moment and it was a miserable and damp day so I took my old Campag bike out. I rode up a Cat 3 climb and was on the small ring. As I got towards the top of the climb the gradient eases a bit and I went to move into the large ring. I pushed the lever but it was jammed, wouldn't move at all. I continued to the top in the small ring and then got off to see what was wrong. It took me a while to realise I'd been pushing the LH brake lever (as I would with the new Shimano set up) instead of the small lever.

None of this is really a problem and once you've made an idiot of yourself once or twice the lesson is learnt. :oops:
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Ajkerr73 wrote:

Ie is it a pain in the ass commuting on double tap then riding at the weekends on "standard"?

I use Sram and Campag depending on which bike I grab and it is never any trouble at all. As long as you don't find tying your shoelaces challenging you'll have no issues.
  • ajkerr73
    ajkerr73 Posts: 318
    mfin wrote:
    Ajkerr73 wrote:

I use Sram and Campag depending on which bike I grab and it is never any trouble at all. As long as you don't find tying your shoelaces challenging you'll have no issues.

I have velcro on my shoes so should be fine ;-)
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Red/Dura Ace and Rival on different bikes (plus down tube shifters on another).

No problems at all.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    I have three bikes, one SRAM (Rival), one Shimano (Sora), one Campagnolo (Veloce). The systems are all just slight variations on a theme and changing between them is not a big deal. I find that as soon as I make my first gear change on a ride I just fall into SRAM/Shimano/Campag mode (as applicable) and don't give it another thought.
    SRAM is my personal favourite.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"