Who has a Bike worth more than their car ?

ilovegrace
ilovegrace Posts: 677
edited April 2015 in Road general
Me, Ford focus 06 zetec 125000 on the clock worth £5-600 .
Look 566 miles , not many worth £800.
regrds
ILG

Comments

• JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Not entirely sure what my car is worth, nor my best bike, but suspect the car is depreciating much quicker than the bike and the overlap point can't be far off...

And having just spent 3 hours changing the suspension leg on the car, I much prefer working on bikes.
  • The same as yourself nearly. 03 Focus with 80000 miles recently bought for £725. 3 bikes all above that figure.
  • tehtehteh
    tehtehteh Posts: 103
    car £100
    bike £1200

love the bike but the car was miles better value
  • I imagine that my 753 lo pro frame if replicated would likely cost £2k+, the best part of the worth of our '03 Fiesta...
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Reynolds 953 framed bike, prob. cost £1900 to build. And it's not the only bike in the shed.

Car? 2001 Focus with a dent in the door and 95k on the clock, worth f-all.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    O3 nissian almera , worth about a grand in Ireland. Bike is a look 675. Can't see myself changing either for quite a while.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    '99 Astra so worth eff all, carbon bike with 105 so worth more.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Have bikes, don't have car.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    marcusjb wrote:
    Have bikes, don't have car.

Ditto so my bikes far out value my car.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    '54 reg Mazda 3 2.0 Sport - worth around £1000. Both of my bikes are worth way more.
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    54 plate Honda Jazz, £3K cervelo. I'm the constant butt of jokes and jibes. It's me who has the last laugh when I take my shirt off :wink:
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • roux_guy
    roux_guy Posts: 88
    Diesel Micra currently £2,800, new Defy Advanced 2 £1,400. Another couple of years and they'll probably be about the same.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Car is a rare 1956 BMW - worth 20 grand
    Bike is A 1964 rare Imholz - priceless :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • casatikid
    casatikid Posts: 229
    Dolan Aires,£3,000
    Casati 53 x 11 cost me £2.5k about 7 years ago and Dolan Preffisio winter bike about £750.
    So,over 6k and my Shitreon Berlingo van cost me £5k a couple of years ag.Wouldnt sell any of the above and apart from the van,they all sleep indoors.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Four months ago it would have been 51 reg Peugeot 307 with dodgy electrics, and a Scott CR1 in excellent nick, so no contest - Rule #25 fully adhered to.

Then, after a brief daliance with a very basic (wind down windows, no central locking etc, etc) 04 Skoda Fabia, the in-laws gave us an 09 Reg Fabia with all mod cons - so I suppose this justifies getting a far more expensive bike? I'm not sure that'll wash..."but it was your parents that gave us the car, and the Rules state..."

Saying all that, I will be picking up a custom made Rourke Frame/Forks when they're ready later this summer, so with Sram Force and Mavic Krysium Elites on it'll probably conform.
  • BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    I recently sold my car and bought wheels for my winter bike.
  • qube
    qube Posts: 1,899
    Mr Dog wrote:
    54 plate Honda Jazz, £3K cervelo. I'm the constant butt of jokes and jibes. It's me who has the last laugh when I take my shirt off :wink:

Have you got boobs?
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Qube wrote:
    Mr Dog wrote:

Have you got boobs?

Don't encourage photo's , you may not get what you expect :)
  • dizarch
    dizarch Posts: 152
    I had an interesting conversation with my bank manager the other day:

"Brian, I'm going to use all but £19 of my overdraft."

"You're buying a bike aren't you?"

"Yup."

Brian, after a bit of tapping on his keyboard,

"Hang on! This bike is going to cost four times more than my car is worth!"

"You should ask for a better company car Brian."

"Yes I should. Go on then buy it."

"Thanks Brian."
    Getting older and wanting to go further

Strava: http://www.strava.com/athletes/4664961

Twitter: @miles505050
  • PhunkyPhil
    PhunkyPhil Posts: 143
    Until December I had an old Fiesta which I sold for £300 and when going to sportives I would have £13K of bikes on the back. Needless to say I didn't car about the car, just the 2 bikes.

I also found my S-Works gets cleaned after every ride where as the car didn't get washed for years.
  • JoostG
    JoostG Posts: 189
    15 year old Saab 9-3, worth € 1.000,00 and three bikes all more than that.
  • dyrlac
    dyrlac Posts: 751
    No car* for me too, so I do. Last car that I owned was a 1989 Acura Integra coupe. Paid US$1500 in 1998; got rid before moving to the UK. My Dolan was more than that.

* (Missus's suburban combat vehicle (an XC90) doesn't count, as I'm not allowed to drive it :D )
  • Downward
    Downward Posts: 179
    Yep

Just 50k miles on my 17 year old car !
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    Bmw e90 320 59 plate 57k on clock £9500..it's being used a lot more As have no bike
    Did have a de rosa idol disc 2015 till I cracked it 400 mile only ..waiting for my warranty replacement:-( £:3200
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    No car, 6 bikes.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Bikes(s) maybe and whilst I went 4 of the last 6 years without a car, the Clio 182 is a nice weekend toy.
  • Got an old Ford Puma, probably worth ~500. I have 5 bikes, 4 of which are worth more than the car :)
  • Joeblack
    Joeblack Posts: 829
    I love how most of the posts on this thread are bike biased, you are quoting current values of your car and new prices of bike,

It looks like this in our family

Dad = £40,000 Car £6,000 Bike
    Mum = £23,000 Car £800 Bike
    Son = £200 bike (12yo without driving licence)
    One plays football, tennis or golf, one does not play at cycling
  • CStar
    CStar Posts: 63
    While my car, Focus CMax with 130K on the clock, is getting older and slower and costing me more, my bike Specialized Secteur with LOTS of upgrades is getting older but faster and costing me next to nothing.
    Even considering the relatively lowly frame, I reckon to replace each like for like would be <£500 for the car and >£750 for the bike with its upgrades :-)
    MTB: Self-built Santa Cruz Highball Alloy 10 Spd Deore.
    Winter: Emmelle 1980's Reynolds Steel retro
    Summer: Specialized Secteur Elite w. upgrades.
    Commuter: Fausto Coppi San Remo
  • moefoemil
    moefoemil Posts: 254
    Car: 51 plate Mk4 Astra - £700
    Bike: Ribble Stealth with good spec- £1000

Car fully insured, bike not :shock:
    Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day