New 650B MTB

2»

Comments

• John Wh
    John Wh Posts: 239
    My mate has an Xcaliber 9. Quite a nice bike, but not a great spec for the price (he paid £850). The Radon bikes look immense for the price.
  • esa2
    esa2 Posts: 44
    JayX2A wrote:
    Damn, £688 is damn damn cheap for that spec. Very tempting.

Discount code ends today though I think.

Agree with it being on the short list!

It does end today but I suspect it'll be available again. Still on the side of the Saracen if I'm honest. Just need to wait a couple of weeks for local shop getting them in. Just a small family run business who just deal in Specialized and Ridgeback but adding Saracen in next couple of weeks. Obviously not a huge range they have but excellent service from them. Nicholson's in Dundee it is
  • JayX2A
    JayX2A Posts: 113
    You talking about the Mantra Trail? Happy going 3x10?

Its still high on my list, even though its not the best spec out of all of them.

I could push for a deal on the Mantra Elite, but not sure how much movement there would be, but for the same price the Giant comes in to play.
  • JayX2A
    My budget is now £800 max.... cant afford the extra £200.

So its definatly between the Boardman Team, Genesis Core 30 and Saracen Mantra Trial

So trip to Halfords this weekend to check out the Boardman properly then back to the local shop to test the other two.

The Boardman is defiantly the highest spec, but the last bike I got from Halfords went back due to a number of dings on the frame. This of course could have been out the box from Carrera.
  • esa2
    After initially being against 2x10 and Boardman I'm actually looking at the team full suspension 650 now. Can't decide if I like how the suspension looks tho. Can get it for £900
  • JayX2A
    Nice choice I think! I'm still looking at a HT, so we could both end up with Boardmans! lol

The forks seem pretty good for the price on both... still not ruling out the Saracen just yet.

You looked at the Giant?

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bik ... 250/77359/
  • esa2
    Purchase finally made today and totally blowing my budget with it with a Giant Trance 4. Couldnt resist the looks when I seen it and cant wait to get out and about on it

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/_generate ... 27_5_4.jpg
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Great bike, got a really good frame, but then I would say that.
  • JayX2A
    nice esa!!!

Anyone got opinions on the Talon 27.5 0?

Its top of my budget but the forks seem a big upgrade on the ones on the Boardman and Saracen looking at the difference of the price they come out at. Although few negative reviews of the fork about.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    JayX2A wrote:
    nice esa!!!

Anyone got opinions on the Talon 27.5 0?

Its top of my budget but the forks seem a big upgrade on the ones on the Boardman and Saracen looking at the difference of the price they come out at. Although few negative reviews of the fork about.

I'm not a fan of them, had them on my bike when I got, although they were 140mm. Personally I'd rather have a Rockshox reba or Suntour epicon.
  • JayX2A
    he Mantra Elite has the Epicon. Just not sold on the colour combo.... not seen it in flesh though

http://www.saracen.co.uk/bikes/trail/mantra-elite
  • JayX2A
    I tried to find the Elite in any further afield shops but no luck!!

Opinions on colour? Trying to decide if its nice or plain horrible?
  • esa2
    So a week in and a couple of hours spent flying about the local woods but already problems have developed. Chain slipping under load in 1 gear only and also looks like some of the teeth on front outer chainring have worn already
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You need to make adjustments after riding a while, so adjust the indexing (read Parktools).

Chainrings have odd shaped teeth to aid shifting. I doubt it's worn.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • esa2
    Close up pic of a section of the outer ring

chainset2.jpg
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Looks right to me.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • esa2
    Seem to have it sorted now. Never noticed my chainrings like that before but then my other bikes have chainguards on them so maybe just not as noticeable
  • esa2
    Not been overly happy with the stock seat even with padded shorts. Not nearly as comfortable as the saddle on my Specialized even though they look very similar. So, picked up 1 of these from halfords today http://www.selleroyal.com/en/comfort/freeway-fit Havent seen any reviews of this actual saddle but the reviews Ive seen for otheres in their range seemed good so giving it a bash at £30. Heading out tomorrow for a couple of hours so itll get a decent test.