2009 Marin Wolf Ridge 6.9

kinioo
kinioo Posts: 776
edited March 2015 in MTB buying advice
Afternoon All !

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1744546/

Can anybody tell me is this a good buy - worth the money (I am on the budget for my first FS)??

I am a bit of hmmm aggressive rider...I think at least I try to be ;)

Also can anybody advise on the spec from the advert i.e. I think it should be on Shimano XT front / rear but it looks like its not ??

Also not sure if its 2009...or 2012 ??

Frame size 17,5 is it medium ???

Many thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I detect a bit of fail here.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Might be good or could be really bad. More detail needed before anyone can answer your question.
  • kinioo
    Apologies...link to advert attached this time !!!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Thats a 2009 bike. It's a heavy old beast but you won't break it, the frames are bombproof. I know of one which has been abused by four different very quick riders who rode it very hard and it's still going strong.
    Rather old fashioned geometry and if you ever need to replace the fork it will be almost impossible to buy a new one.
    The fork is a Pike U-turn dual air. They can be unreliable, the circlip falls off the bottom of the air spring (a common problem). I got to a point where I could rebuild the air spring assembly in about 30 minutes because I did it so many times. You might be able to get a coil spring assembly for it which solves the problem.
  • kinioo
    Thats a 2009 bike. It's a heavy old beast but you won't break it, the frames are bombproof. I know of one which has been abused by four different very quick riders who rode it very hard and it's still going strong.
    Rather old fashioned geometry and if you ever need to replace the fork it will be almost impossible to buy a new one.
    The fork is a Pike U-turn dual air. They can be unreliable, the circlip falls off the bottom of the air spring (a common problem). I got to a point where I could rebuild the air spring assembly in about 30 minutes because I did it so many times. You might be able to get a coil spring assembly for it which solves the problem.

Thanks,

so its probably a no-no then.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I had a 2008 Wolf Ridge frame before I got the Mega. They're actually seriously under rated frames and usually go for super cheap because of this. I got mine for about £250 with a brand new Hope headset a few years back.

Yes the frames are a little heavy. I also snapped one of the linkages so they're worth keeping an eye on. The rear ends aren't that stiff either. The head tube is only for 1 1/8th steerers so that limits fork choice. Other than that they're really not bad. The head tube is nice and slack, the frame ignoring the linkage problems is strong and it really encourages you to ride it hard.

However, it might not be the right choice for a first full suspension. If you have been riding a hardtail hard and just never had a full suspension bike then it's fine. If however you are fairly new to the sport or still not too confident it is not the right bike for you. It wants to be ridden like a DH bike on the same sort of terrain. If you're only riding tame trails it is far too much bike. It will be too heavy, not as fun and actually hold you back skills wise because it hides more of your mistakes.