hardtail home build, Bird V Evil.

Barnymeinhoff
Barnymeinhoff Posts: 62
edited March 2015 in MTB buying advice
Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated, I'm very much a beginner, looking to get a frame as the basis of my first home build, looking to make a 140mm travel trail throw about bike ( so I can crash into trees and banks with more flash than my cube acid 29 currently allows. )

I was originally set on the Evil Sovereign as a start point but now cant shake the Bird zero as a possible alternative. prices are currently comparable even factoring in the shipping for the Evil

Ignoring the differing wheel size for the moment ( 26 v 27.5 yawn )the geometry seems very comparable between the two, anyone tried both? without getting a chance to try one out I'm currently going to go with whichever one has the most offensive paintjob.

http://shop.birdmtb.com/framesets/bird- ... -pink.html

apologies for not attaching the sov spec but I have it on a different computer and will add later ( current spec not on line although plenty of the old ones up. )

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have ridden an Evil and its a great ride. Proper enduro hardtail, really works well when you ride like your arse is on fire.
    Also take a look at the Stanton Slackline, really nice ride. A little less hardcore than the Evil but still a great hardcore ride. Makes s decent 4X and jump bike as well as a great all mountain bike.
  • BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    Not ridden the Evil but own a Bird and think it's a fantastic bike to ride and sounds very similar to the Evil described above.

A Slackline would also be a great alternative.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • kemp_ad
    kemp_ad Posts: 24
    I build up My Bird from frame last November. Absolutely love it, put 150mm pikes on front and done plenty of black and DH runs on it no probs.
    Specialized Stumpjumper
    Bird Zero (current build)
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Obviously biased, but I'd agree with RockmonkeySC. It's brilliant fun to ride as long as you're willing to put in the work. No experience of the Bird. One thing to note is that even the new version of the Sov will apparently only take a straight 1 1/8" steerer.

Here's a recent-ish pic of mine. It's the bike I ride most, besides my commuter, and even did a few enduros last year.

16776275268_e8dd8110f0_z.jpg2015-02-08 11.11.32 by warpcow, on Flickr
  • Thanks all, some food for thought and Warpcow, that - is a beautiful looking bike. =)