Gear cable

bruce225
bruce225 Posts: 129
edited March 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

Just a quicky, got Sram X7 set up just need a new inner gear cable is it worth spending extra money or will the Clarks universal gear cable at Halfords for £2 do the job has good, the outers are only a coule of months old.

Cheers

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Any stainless steel cable is all you need.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bruce225
    Cheers for that no point in spending extra for the sake of it.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Wilkinson's do inners for about £1.20 IIRC, and whilst not as fine or smooth as Shimano ones, for instance, they've always served me well.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Wilkinsons cables are fine, but they are galvanised and not stainless, although they lasted over 3 years on my commuter despite getting coated in salty water many times over winter!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    you'll get really slick shifting with shimano SP-41 outer and a teflon coated inner cable (i use this on the rear gears) - front you could get away with just a stainless cable
  • bruce225
    Yeah thanks just got the Clarkes stainless steel one for £1.99 had to scrounge a couple of nipples from the Halfords Tech guy the cheapest one they sold with a nipple was £6.00. It did the job fine.
  • The Rookie
    Do you mean ferrule, you can't use it at all without the nipple that locates in the shifter.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    No - I think he means the cable end cap.
  • bruce225
    No - I think he means the cable end cap.

Spot on....
  • The Rookie
  • bruce225
    I thought the ferrule was the bit at the end of a outer cable.

http://www.clarkscycles.com/index.php/html/product/pagetype/aftermarket/id/cx15dp-brakegear-ferrule

Luckily when I want stuff, I generally just point at things and ask for one of them.
  • Chunkers1980
    Technically it could be a ferrule, the cable end cap. It's probably better to call it a cable end cap and call a ferrule the part you link to.
  • The Rookie
  • Chunkers1980
    God, you're painful.
  • The Rookie
    Let's see, I said it was a ferrule (which it is, many sellers call them ferrules, I have a packet here that does so and it also fits the dictionary definition) you said it was something else, I pointed out it was the same thing and you corrected it, who was the painful one when you could have just let it go? Got a mirror handy?
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    And here's me thinking that it's just a few cats going over to the wild side.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"