Which rear/front bike seats for kids.....?

mattyharman
mattyharman Posts: 16
Evening folks,

I have a few kids so I'm on the hunt for some rear/front bike seats as well. (Not cool i know :cry: ) i fitted the Bellelli rear bike seat that's £30 at halfrauds at the moment to be shocked it doesn't fit. I have 1cm of clearance from the Tyre to the underside of the seat before strapping the spog in. So much for it been able to fit all rigid framed bikes with a traditional frame design.

Its doesn't fit my wife's new Carrera Vengeance womans 2015 MTB either that i bought last night. It sits right on the bloody wheel! both bikes are hard tails. Anyone in the know like to input on this situation then feel free.

thanks in advance
Matty

Comments

• ViperS15
    ViperS15 Posts: 61
    Look for a Hamax rear seat. They have different bars available if you have a smaller frame to allow it to fit properly. I'd be cautious with the Yepp as they're a lot heavier so you'll be dragging loads of weight behind you.

Hamax Kiss: http://www.merlincycles.com/hamax-kiss- ... 44451.html
  • andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    Hamax Sleepy 4.3kg, Yepp Maxi 5.3kg.

But that additional weight is lower with the Yepp, making it feel much more stable (plus it doesn't do that bobbing about thing). Also, easier to clean.

We've had both. Hamax sleepy for the two older kids but got the Yepp for their younger bro. Just wish we'd come across them earlier.

To answer your direct question, the Yepp on a Steco rack fits well on my wife's Spesh Hardrock (now general purpose bike), although it needed the longer struts from SJS linked above to get it level.

Aside from the Maxi, they also do a front-mounted mini for up to 3 years and a junior for 5+, which can be handy for the primary school run.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    I have to jump in here and offer up the trailer as an alternative. I have had my kids in both and would recommend a trailer every time.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Hamax Siesta here and Burly D-lite trailer. Both suit us for different reasons and uses. Sometimes we even switch our 2 year old between them for a change mid ride.

The siesta does bounce a little but not as bad as the old bellelli from halfords via my sister. It really was more stable even when tilted. The bounce effect was more noticeable with my partner's bike which is a smaller step through MTB bike. Mine is a XXL hybrid so I could fit it at a large range of positions up the seat tube without hitting the tyre which I think somehow made for a lower level of bounce. Although my partner had my lad on the back of the bike over a Peak District green lane once without him complaining (he was just 16 months then). It was better that than the trailer.

One thing I would say get a good make whether yepp or Hamax. The Halfords sold Bellelli is IMHO not good enough. Plus Hamax do sell different fixing bars to cope with different frame sizes and problems. My advice is get a Hamax and if it is not right send them an email with a photo or two to show the issue. I am sure they would recommend the correct bar for the bike from that. Or change your bike (N+1 afterall).

The trailer option is perhaps not as easy to use but could work for you. It is a preference that you might not like. Marmite choice you could say.

The last option is go Danish. There is a shop in Fleetwood area IIRC that sells Danish style trikes with back or front boxes for kids. It works over in the World's most cyclist friendly place so can't see how it would fail her!!! ;)
  • andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    Agreed, trailers are the best option, when you can use them. But they aren't always the most practical so I think you really need both.

We've got a huge amount of use from our Croozer, including cycle touring/camping round France, long day trips, shorter local rides. Either towed by me with the tourer or by the tandem. As a stroller it gets used for walks in the forest and by my wife when running. There are slightly better looking trailers, and certainly more expensive ones. But the Croozer has taken a considerable bashing for about 4 years and is still going strong.

The Danish/Dutch cargo type bikes for kids look brilliant, although never used one.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Look up Winther from Denmark. They seem to have a few bikes that look like a trailer stuck on the front of a bike frame or trike frame. They actually look ok. I could imagine riding one if I lived somewhere cycle friendly and had the disposable income for that luxury.