New to MTB

mattyharman
mattyharman Posts: 16
edited April 2015 in MTB beginners
Evening folks,

I'm new to the MTB world. I searched for a few bikes on the cycle to work scheme and didn't want to get to giddy for my first purchase so went lowish budget. I decided to go for the Cube AIM SL29 2015 MTB. So far im impressed with how she's performing.

I have a few kids so I'm on the hunt for some rear/front bike seats as well. (Not cool i know :cry: ) i fitted the Bellelli rear bike seat that's £30 at halfrauds at the moment to be shocked it doesn't fit. I have 1cm of clearance from the Tyre to the underside off the seat before strapping the spog in. So much for it been able to fit all rigid framed bikes with a traditional frame design.

Its doesn't fit my wife's new Carrera Vengeance womans 2015 MTB either that i bought last night. It sits right on the bloody wheel! both bikes are hard tails. Anyone in the know like to input on this situation then feel free.

Thanks in advance
Matty

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    Looking at the video on the Bellelli website I would hazard a guess that it is not designed for a sloping top tube/dropped seatstay design MTB frame, as you wont have enough height adjustment with the seat tube mounted fixing bracket, to clear the wheel/tyre.

Take it back for a refund and go to an LBS who may have more experience with child seats.
  • Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't say either bike is anything special frame wise. There's hundreds of other bikes to choose from that look the same as ours.

Bit of a bold statement from halfrauds to advertise it as fitting any rigid bike. Taking them back today with both bikes and see what they say or advise.
  • I don't see the issue with the seat. Its not as if our frames are a wacky design. Just normal frames.

My cube AIM SL29 2015 17'' frame....
    601002_zoom_zpseonngzbg.jpg

The wifes Carrera Vengeance womans 2015 14" frame....
    686372_zpsee233ng2.jpg

This is how the Bellelli Child Bike seat is described - Child seats do no fit the majority of full suspension bikes but do fit all rigid framed bikes with a traditional frame design....
    940791_zpspa0ijxdp.jpg
  • This was it fitted to mine. (Very sexy looking im sure you'll agree :mrgreen: ) There was 1cm clearance from the tyre to the underside of the seat.

11092129_10153664433559409_6776783464407420713_n_zpstmcong8s.jpg
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The joint to the seat tube on the MTB's is much lower than it would be with a Hybrid, that is almost certainly the issue.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Mattharrier
    Mattharrier Posts: 173
    I imagine that Halfords will say that hardtails aren't "rigid framed bikes with a traditional frame design" as this would be bike with no suspension at all - so hybrids (or as they used to be called, "normal bikes") and the like.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    A traditional rigid frame usually means a bike with a horizontal top tube, which will have a longer seat tube than your compact sloping TT frame MTB. Your problem is that you have reached the maximum limit that you can adjust the height of the bracket, before you can obtain the desired clearance between the seat and tyre.
    Therefore that seat is not really suitable for your bike.

When you put your child in the seat does it make contact with the tyre, when you ride the bike with your child in the seat does the tyre make contact? I would say 1cm is insufficient clearance to be on the safe side.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Hamax offer different shaped arms for different frames for their seats. They do one specifically for small frames that lifts the seat higher. Not sure how the Bellelli works exactly (althought the principle looks the same as my Hamax) but 1cm of clearance under the seat definitely doesn't sound enough.
  • warpcow wrote:
    Hamax offer different shaped arms for different frames for their seats. They do one specifically for small frames that lifts the seat higher. Not sure how the Bellelli works exactly (althought the principle looks the same as my Hamax) but 1cm of clearance under the seat definitely doesn't sound enough.

Returned both Carrera bike and child seat to halfords and they were baffled with that one. (Doesn't take much). Just took a full refund instead of messing around. Bought the missus a Pendleton instead for comfort and a double trailer (second hand) for the kids to sit in that goes on the back of my cube. Can only stick to light tracks and roads with the family which isn't to bad then I can go blasting off on my own on another occasion.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Pendleton is a big mistake but....
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Pendleton is a big mistake but....

Whys that.....? She's not ridden a bike since aged 12 so there was now way I was getting her on the tracks with me. Bit of wishful thinking on my behalf.

She's been out on it a couple of times and she loves it and feels safe. It's easy for her to rid and is comfortable at the same time. I suppose unless the wheels just happen to fall off whilst your riding I can't really see why on this occasion it would be such a bad choice?