Novice - Please any advice on which bike is better

ross1204
ross1204 Posts: 5
edited March 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I have recently decided its time to purchase a new mountain bike but due to the fact I haven't rode in a number years I am completely out of the loop on which bike is best for me.

My budget is around £350 and will need a pretty sizable frame being I'm 6ft 5in. I will be predominately be commuting to work and when the weather is good be checking out some local bike trails. I have given some thought to a hybrid bike but have decided I would rather purchase a full mountain bike. The two bikes I have found both come with lockout forks and hydraulic breaks which is something I would like, I do realize though I maybe asking a lot given the small budget.

The two bikes are -

Claud Butler Cape Wrath 02 Gents XC-Trail Bike Rims White 2013 - £299 (26 inch wheels)

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/claud-bu ... 84167.html

and

B'TWIN Rockrider 520 Mountain Bike - £330

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-52 ... nformation

Any advice would be much appreciated on which one has the better spec and is the best value for money, or if anyone knows of any other bikes that would be better suited around my budget.

Thanks

Ross

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The RR probably, slightly better fork, although both are OK.
    The rest of the stuff is entry level but works fine.

CB was bad value at RRP but a good buy at the discount price.

Best would be to at least sit on them and try for size if you can, and see which fits better, but both are decent.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ross1204
    ross1204 Posts: 5
    cooldad wrote:
    The RR probably, slightly better fork, although both are OK.
    The rest of the stuff is entry level but works fine.

CB was bad value at RRP but a good buy at the discount price.

Best would be to at least sit on them and try for size if you can, and see which fits better, but both are decent.

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated. Good to know they are both decent.

Unfortunately doubt I can get to try before as a fair stretch away from me their stores. Will have to check the frame size of the Rockrider as doesn't say from what I could see just said XL.