Iranians at it again...

frenchfighter
frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited May 2015 in Pro race
It is a disgrace that this team competes.

MIRSAMAD POORSEYEDIGOLAKHOUR (what a stupid name) WINS STAGE 4 AT THE TOUR OF TAIWAN IN IRANIAN DOMINATION

Mirsamad Poorseyedigolakhour (Tabriz Petrochemical Team) has taken control of the Tour of Taiwan, winning the race’s queen stage in what was an Iranian domination.

The first four places on the stage went to Iranian riders from a combination of the Tabriz Petrochemical and Pishgaman Giant teams with the next closest rider nearly 90 seconds behind the quartet. Indeed Iranian riders took six of the top 10 spots on a stage that was almost all uphill for nearly the last 70km (at about 3% average).

Here’s an edited version of how Avanti Racing, the team of overnight leader Paddy Bevin, described proceedings:

In what is becoming an all too frequent occurrence, for us anyway, the Iranian teams blew the race to pieces at this year’s Tour of Taiwan. It’s not like it wasn’t expected either it was just impossible to stop.
At 10km to go come it did. The Iranian teams of Tabriz and Pishgaman attacked en masse and despite a concerted effort by the rest of the field they had no answer.

(would add this to the other thread about Iranian riders but search is not working)
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,149
    edited March 2015
    There's no way that Iranians would be on the Juice. They all hate it. They want to drive the Juice into the sea. I think I heard that right.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • LeePaton
    LeePaton Posts: 353
    That managed an actual out loud chortle.
    It's not so much about winning, I just hate losing.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    RichN95 wrote:
    There's no way that Iranians would be on the Juice. They all hate it. They want to drive the Juice into the sea. I think I heard that right.

Oh you didn't. Ha ha ha ha ha ha!
    Correlation is not causation.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    It is a disgrace that this team competes.

MIRSAMAD POORSEYEDIGOLAKHOUR (what a stupid name) WINS STAGE 4 AT THE TOUR OF TAIWAN IN IRANIAN DOMINATION

Mirsamad Poorseyedigolakhour (Tabriz Petrochemical Team) has taken control of the Tour of Taiwan, winning the race’s queen stage in what was an Iranian domination.

The first four places on the stage went to Iranian riders from a combination of the Tabriz Petrochemical and Pishgaman Giant teams with the next closest rider nearly 90 seconds behind the quartet. Indeed Iranian riders took six of the top 10 spots on a stage that was almost all uphill for nearly the last 70km (at about 3% average).

Here’s an edited version of how Avanti Racing, the team of overnight leader Paddy Bevin, described proceedings:

In what is becoming an all too frequent occurrence, for us anyway, the Iranian teams blew the race to pieces at this year’s Tour of Taiwan. It’s not like it wasn’t expected either it was just impossible to stop.
    At 10km to go come it did. The Iranian teams of Tabriz and Pishgaman attacked en masse and despite a concerted effort by the rest of the field they had no answer.

(would add this to the other thread about Iranian riders but search is not working)

Yet it's OK for proven doper Valverde to compete??
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,558
    RichN95 wrote:

Very very good :lol::lol::lol:
  • Stupid name? No more stupid than Alberto Contador or Fabian Cancellara. Tabriz is only one Iranian team.

Avanti are one of the the worst losers in the world of cycling. That's not an exaggeration. In 2012, when World Tour drop out Oscar Pujol put this team in their place, Avanti (then Genesys) went on a whingy strop about how it was superhuman and suspicious.

Prior to this year, I'd never thought of Paddy Bevin as a climber. More of a roleur/punchy sprinter. Also would've said that being within 2 minutes of any winner in a mountain stage was a great effort.

Not to say they're not doping. Possibility is high. But it's lazy to say they're all at it. I don't know, or bother, and I follow Asian racing closely.

FWIW, Ghader Mizbani is the Asian equivalent of Contador (minus the being caught for doping). Been dominating the scene since Wong Kam Po declined.
  • frenchfighter
    If he was a heavyweight racer and able to destroy everyone consistently he would be picked up by any number of teams competing in Europe. That they don't want him speaks volumes.

I agree the margins in this race are not huge but they have been many times before and 60% of the top tean being Iranian is not normal.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • above_the_cows
    MIRSAMAD POORSEYEDIGOLAKHOUR (what a stupid name)

Kom op Frenchie, French Fighter probably looks bl88dy silly in Farsi.
  • If he was a heavyweight racer and able to destroy everyone consistently he would be picked up by any number of teams competing in Europe. That they don't want him speaks volumes.

I agree the margins in this race are not huge but they have been many times before and 60% of the top tean being Iranian is not normal.
    How easy is it for Iranians to travel in Europe? Gang Xu, for example, is still waiting for his visa now.

With regards to being not normal, the Iranian cycling scene is more developed than all other Asian countries. Philippines used to be very strong, but slim pickings apart from that. It's also regulation for them to race and train at 2000+ metre altitudes. Tabriz and Azad Uni (don't exist anymore) send teams that are better on paper. None of that is to exclude doping, but these are never considered. How can Iranians be better?

The huge wins iirc came only in the Tour of Singkarak and once in Borneo in 2013, of which the latter was surprising. They stack up the numbers in the many Indonesian races around.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099

*Those* shorts would look bloody silly regardless of the setting.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • The_Boy wrote:

Whatever point you tried to make, Frenchie, was lost when you mocked the guy's name. Poor form, that.
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    Ooo let's not mock another culture that's wrong. Takethemoralhighground more like.
    Perhaps you should have said it's a funny name frenchie, then again people love to be outraged if they possible can.
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • frenchfighter
    Yep not stupid you are all right on that. Impossible to pronounce is a more apt description.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • above_the_cows
    The_Boy wrote:

These shorts?

2014-07-07203930_zps19b343de.jpg

Applause though for the greatest sign maker of his generation!
  • wombly_knees
    wombly_knees Posts: 657
    Oh boy, best not see the Fuji stage result, FF. (Says I, having made sure you'll have a look now). This is a bit surreal, tbh.
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    The top 4 have all tested positive at some point in their careers. Nice.
  • frenchfighter
    Hahaha!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Crampeur wrote:
    The top 4 have all tested positive at some point in their careers. Nice.

Probably taking their daily inspiration from Contador.
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    Thought it was just google translate, but the stage was only 17.4km long. Very odd race.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • ClaudeH
    ClaudeH Posts: 78
    Markwb79 wrote:
    Thought it was just google translate, but the stage was only 17.4km long. Very odd race.

I think it was a mountain TT.
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    ClaudeH wrote:
    Markwb79 wrote:

According to cyclingdatabase the first stage was a ITT, but doesnt mention it on the last stage.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • frenchfighter
    http://www.toj.co.jp/stage

Looks like it was stage 4 not 4 as on cyclingquotient.

fujisan_profile.jpg
    fujisan_stage.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • wombly_knees
    Markwb79 wrote:
    ClaudeH wrote:
    Markwb79 wrote:

According to cyclingdatabase the first stage was a ITT, but doesnt mention it on the last stage.

This isn't a TT. Just a climb up Mount Fuji. Used to be a TT till a few years ago (2010, maybe). Tomorrow's stage has a couple of hills, had 4000 metres of climbing a couple of years ago. They don't change the routes in Japan much.

The first stage is a 200 or 300 metres time trial.
  • wombly_knees
    Correction, the first stage in the Tour of Kumano is a 300 metre TT. It's a 2.5 km TT in the Tour of Japan.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    RichN95 wrote:

I'm late to this, but coffee came out of my nose there.

Hat to you sir! Hat!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    Genius thread.

Let them have a race off against Torku with Mohammed Sayer getting a special guest slot.