Numb feet and shoes loosening?

ashleydwsmith
ashleydwsmith Posts: 693
edited April 2015 in Road general
Good evening everybody.

I have ongoing problems with numb toes, i am trying different cleat positions. but i have also noticed a possible problem with the shoes i wear which maybe causing the problem.

i have a pair of specialized 74's the retro style shoes with boa laces, i have noticed that even though i have done them to the tightness i require that upon returning home and undoing them they already are loose. Now i thought if anything they would get tighter as my feet will swell.

So i have ordered a new set of boas but would this affect the numbness in the foot?

cheers ash

Comments

• I can't see how the loosening would cause them to be more numb. If anything, I would imagine that them loosening themselves would help, since pressure points would be relieved a bit more.

Do you have extra insoles in the shoes that are for your type of foot? I used to only use the shoes, but when I started having comfort problems with my current shoes I bought an insoles for my foot shape, and while I need to wear socks that are slightly thinner so I don't put too much pressure on, the problem has gone!
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    The problem with the 74 is that the lower Boa enclosure tightens over both the instep and forefoot. This can cause circulation issues, especially if you have a prominent instep (and could make the forefoot fee loose or vice-versa).

In regards to the numb toes, do they go progressively numb from the big to or does it start at the second or third toe?
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    What about your saddle height? Seriously. I used to have numb toes and it was because I was riding with my toes pointed down to compensate for a saddle which was too high for me. Set the saddle to the correct height and it's no longer a problem.
  • Progressive from the outside in
  • Grill
    As in the little toe side in?
  • Ive been having problems with my S-Works shoes making my right foot go numb :twisted:
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Grill wrote:
    The problem with the 74 is that the lower Boa enclosure tightens over both the instep and forefoot. This can cause circulation issues, especially if you have a prominent instep (and could make the forefoot fee loose or vice-versa).

In regards to the numb toes, do they go progressively numb from the big to or does it start at the second or third toe?

Have you ever worked in a climbing shop or something?
  • Grill
    Garry H wrote:
    Grill wrote:

Have you ever worked in a climbing shop or something?

Professional boot-fitter for many years (WC athletes and the like).
  • Yep little toe inwards.
  • Grill
    From the outside in would suggest that it's an issue with volume. This could be due to tightening the lower BOa too much, thus compressing the forefoot, or it could be that your shoes are too big which would cause your foot to slide forward into the narrower part of the shoe (quite common actually). Proper footbeds will help to alleviate both these problems as it will A) stabilise the foot and equalise pressure thus stopping it from spreading under load and B) support and hold the foot in the correct position in the shoe (still not remotely ideal if the shoes are too big, but that's where volume reducers come into play).

Of course, without seeing first-hand it's difficult to be certain as there are other possibilities such as you have a natural duck stance and you've set your cleats up straight (your foot will then naturally push out in order to achieve it's natural biomechanical path). This could be rectified by using pedals/cleats with greater float or adjusting the cleat accordingly. Asymmetry could also play a role as the longer/dominant leg could be 'pushing out' in an attempt to achieve its optimised cycle.

Keep in mind that no two feet/legs are the same so concentrate on the foot that's giving you issues rather than examining solutions for both (of course footbeds should be fitted in both shoes).
  • That is extremely interesting Grill. As it stands i was a bit of a pratt, in that for years i was convinced i was a size 9. Work and casual shoes fit, first pair of spd shoes (mavic's) are a 9 but always felt too small. Tried on the 74's and they fit ok. However i decided to get my foot measured at clarks and discovered that i am indeed a flat boring standard uk 8, no width issues or anything like that.!
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    [/quote]

Have you ever worked in a climbing shop or something?[/quote]

Professional boot-fitter for many years (WC athletes and the like).[/quote]

Explains it. You show a lot more understanding than someone who works in a bike shop. (I should probably add IME)
  • so i noticed tonight on the turbo, that my left heel naturally points out and my right heel in. my right foot is where i start to get the numbness first, outer to inner.

any ideas?
  • Grill
    Not easy to pin down without seeing it first-hand, but it could be either hypermobility or excess pronation/supination (does the pain start underneath or on the side/top?). Both of these issues can be rectified with the correct footbeds (in combination with the correct size shoe and not over-tightening).

How much float do your cleats/pedals have? During your normal pedalling cycle, do you notice your foot/feet pushing in any given direction (resistance against the shoe)?
  • It appears to start on the top, minimal float on the pedals as I don't like the feeling of feeling like I'm going to be unclipped just by moving my foot. Don't really notice any pushing against shoe
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    so i noticed tonight on the turbo, that my left heel naturally points out and my right heel in. my right foot is where i start to get the numbness first, outer to inner.

any ideas?

Is that not dependent on the position of your cleats or have you got plenty of float ?
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Good evening everybody.

I have ongoing problems with numb toes, i am trying different cleat positions. but i have also noticed a possible problem with the shoes i wear which maybe causing the problem.

i have a pair of specialized 74's the retro style shoes with boa laces, i have noticed that even though i have done them to the tightness i require that upon returning home and undoing them they already are loose. Now i thought if anything they would get tighter as my feet will swell.

So i have ordered a new set of boas but would this affect the numbness in the foot?

cheers ash

Could be any number of things. Feet tend to shrink when cycling, not swell; hence shoes feeling looser after a ride sounds correct. Sounds like the shoes may not be a great fit anyway. Before messing about with your cleat position or buying insoles etc, just trying sticking a thin bit of material under your insoles to take up some volume; that may help with the fit of your shoes and may solve your issues.
  • any kind of material? what would you suggest?
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    any kind of material? what would you suggest?

something thin, flexible and waterproof ideally. A sheet or two of thin card might do for a dry ride
  • Grill
    If you go to a ski shop that stocks Sidas (Snow+Rock, Ellis Brigham) they should have volume reducers in stock. 3 and 5mm are the most common sizes although if you're luck they'll have 1mm in stock (you can double up but 3mm should do it).