Road shoe fit / size

alfa
alfa Posts: 45
edited March 2015 in Road general
Hi,

Probably one of the dumbest question in here recently but can;t really find anything to answer myself.

Recently bought a new road shoes [ my first ones ] and I am not sure if I have right size,
Bontrager ,I went size eu 47 , tired size 46 but they were way to small.

The problem is with room left in shoe, gut in local branded store told my that shoes should be bigger cous my feet will swell while riding and there should be ' extra' room

With summer thin sock when I push feet forward there is a space for finger between my heel and shoe. This is the way how you check size in ''civilian'' shoes. Does it work with road shoes? Or I need shoe where my toe will be almost touching front of the shoe ?

On my MTB shoes I found much more room [ bigger shoes ] than on this ones but I don't know if that will not affect on comfort of riding in road shoes. ?

Any help welcome!

thanks

Comments

• Do they feel comfortable after you have ridden your bike? If yes, then hey are the right fir / size. If no.....

Whilst you can ask for opiniions, the only person who truly knows the answer to your question is yourself.
    Live to ski
    Ski to live
  • cswitch
    cswitch Posts: 261
    They do sound a little too big though it is good to have a bit of space in front of the toes otherwise when you're out of the saddle you can feel the toe hitting the front of the shoe, this can also become painful. Those with wider feet (inc. me) sometimes go up a half size to get the additional width / height. I do this so have a bit of space at the front however foot does not move around whatsoever. If you're riding in them your feet should not be slopping around in the shoe otherwise muscles may be activated to stabilise the foot and possibly increases the risk of developing an injury. If you foot is slopping around you could try putting in an additional footbed to take up some of the space. Just a relatively thin one though.
  • BillyImp
    BillyImp Posts: 130
    My shoes fit perfectly when I wear thick winter socks but they're a bit too roomy when I wear a thinner pair in the warmer weather. Solution: a pair of summer shoes and a pair of winter shoes :D:D
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    I'd say they are way too big. The heel on a road shoe (and in my opinion on an MTB shoe too) should be held firmly by the heel cup when the shoe is fastened. This prevents heel slip, which you can get when pedalling due to the stiff soles on cycling shoes. Any "room" should be width-ways but even then not much. I've never worn ANY shoe where I can get a finger down behind the heel when properly fastened.