Trying to install new front derailleur

alexs2602
alexs2602 Posts: 33
edited March 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm not sure what it is exactly but I have the Shimano Deore(M590). I'm pretty sure I've clamped it on at the right height and angle, I've relieved all tension in the barrel adjuster and the lower limit isn't screwed in at all but the chain still rubs against the inner cage. And there's no cable tension yet because I wanted to set the limit first before tightening the cable anchor.

I am doing this right, aren't I?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Possibly not.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    We need an action video.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • cobba
    cobba Posts: 282
    edited March 2015
  • alexs2602
    I'll come back to the other comments later but elsewhere it's been suggested that the axle is too short on my BB. Using Shimano UN 26 68x113mm. This is seeming like a very likely explanation to me.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    alexs2602 wrote:
    I'll come back to the other comments later but elsewhere it's been suggested that the axle is too short on my BB. Using Shimano UN 26 68x113mm. This is seeming like a very likely explanation to me.

All depends what crankset you're using - look on them for their model codes, and then look up the correct spindle length for that crankset.

Although you've wound the barrel adjuster all the way in, to properly rule out the cable, I would disconnect it from the mech.
  • alexs2602
    edited March 2015
    jimothy78 wrote:
    All depends what crankset you're using - look on them for their model codes, and then look up the correct spindle length for that crankset.

Although you've wound the barrel adjuster all the way in, to properly rule out the cable, I would disconnect it from the mech.
    Thank you! Would never have thought to look this up. If I'm reading this correctly the spindle length should be 123mm. So it's 10mm off. Shimano FC-M311.

I did try that.
  • cooldad
    Mentioning that you'd changed the crankset might have helped.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • alexs2602
    cooldad wrote:
    Mentioning that you'd changed the crankset might have helped.
    I didn't change it. That's the original. The manufacturer installed the wrong bottom bracket.
  • cooldad
    edited March 2015
    If you say so, but if it worked with the previous mech it's still more likely you are doing something wrong. No reason a new one shouldn't work.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    How did you measure the BB size?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • alexs2602
    cooldad wrote:
    If you say so, but if it worked with the previous mech it's still more likely you are doing something wrong. No reason a new on shouldn't work.
    It didn't work with the previous mech really. I had the exact same issue.

You are the most condescending member I've seen on this forum. I refer you to thumper who said, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" You simply could have asked if I changed the crankset or if it worked with previous mech but instead you had to talk down to me on every occasion I've heard from you. This isn't my first thread either.
    cooldad wrote:
    How did you measure the BB size?
    I removed the BB and it said it on the body.
  • cooldad
    edited March 2015
    I might be but it's much easier if you volunteer the information.
    You implied you'd changed the mech and the new mech didn't work, leading one to assume that it was an issue with the new mech.
    That the original didn't work would have been quite useful info.

I fail to see why this is condescending?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    First rule of the tech section is give as much information as possible. This you failed at.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Because he is transferring blame onto you for his own negligence in not describing the issue properly.

Its like them throwing your keys into the car, locking the door shut, and then condemning you for not giving them a ride home.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Chunkers1980
    So did you buy the new mech to try and solve the issue you were having? Thus previously having a correctly functioning mech?
  • alexs2602
    cooldad wrote:
    I might be but it's much easier if you volunteer the information.
    You implied you'd changed the mech and the new mech didn't work, leading one to assume that it was an issue with the new mech.
    That the original didn't work would have been quite useful info.

I fail to see whay this is condescending?
    The truth of the matter is that I had so much trouble with the original derailleur - trying to get the lower limit set right, and admittedly using some incorrect methods in trying to do that, I also overtightened the clamp bolt and flattened the peaks on the bolt and the what-dja-macallit. That's why I replaced the derailleur. So because the spindle length was wrong and this didn't occur to me, or the 2 bike shops I took it to, while trying to fix the problem with the limits it actually only lead to the original breaking and needing to be replaced in the first place.

I implied that I couldn't get the lower limit low enough and I couldn't figure out why. I didn't imply it didn't work.

I didn't imply I changed the crankset either. Typo?

Again, you could have asked if I had similar issues with the previous derailleur too so we're equally at fault there.
  • alexs2602
    First rule of the tech section is give as much information as possible. This you failed at.
    I apologise, I thought I had. I did give all information regarding the current model I'm using. Literally everything. I neglected to consider that what had happened with the previous model would be pertinent so forgive me for that oversight.
    So did you buy the new mech to try and solve the issue you were having? Thus previously having a correctly functioning mech?
    Nah, overtightened the clamp and flattened the peaks on the bolt and the I don't know the name of it. Replacing merely the bolt wouldn't have been enough suffice it to say. That's why I ended up buying a new one eventually. Although I think I could have been forgiven for thinking a new derailleur may have fixed the problem of the old derailleur. We all have to learn things sometime. None of you cottoned onto the spindle length being wrong until I said so, and neither did two bike shops. Not saying I was the one who had that idea in the first place btw.
    The Rookie wrote:
    Because he is transferring blame onto you for his own negligence in not describing the issue properly.

Its like them throwing your keys into the car, locking the door shut, and then condemning you for not giving them a ride home.
    It was an oversight. I mentioned everything to do with the current model. Are you saying you've never made a mistake? If so then maybe it would be justified to be so insulting. If not then maybe he should try doing what this section is designed for - help. For a forum that makes its name off of helping cyclists new and old with a variety of problems you can be a really unwelcoming bunch. Well, some of you can be.
  • Chunkers1980
    Going on the attack while asking for and receiving help is never a good way to be welcomed.

Limit screws only limit what they can limit. So surely the mech will only go so far in closer to the frame, which isn't enough to move the chain to the smallest cog or stop rubbing. This is caused by the chainset being 5mm too close to the frame. Solution - buy the right part and look at the engineering of the mech to see what it can do and don't be ham-fisted.
  • Chunkers1980
    alexs2602 wrote:
    None of you cottoned onto the spindle length being wrong

Just re-read this.

None of us have ESP either. You seem to be blaming your failings on someone else. I think Simon was correct.
  • alexs2602
    Going on the attack while asking for and receiving help is never a good way to be welcomed.

Limit screws only limit what they can limit. So surely the mech will only go so far in closer to the frame, which isn't enough to move the chain to the smallest cog or stop rubbing. This is caused by the chainset being 5mm too close to the frame. Solution - buy the right part and look at the engineering of the mech to see what it can do and don't be ham-fisted.
    I was bringing up a consistently rude member on their manners. Someone needed to do it because like I said, I've found him consistently rude.

Lets look at it another way; your help isn't going to be welcomed if you talk down to everyone you try to help.

Like I said, we all learn things for the first time at some point. I knew how limit screws which confused me all the more previously. If I posed you an advanced mathematical question you probably wouldn't have a clue where to start and who could blame you unless you were a maths graduate or at least were an undergrad, right? So why are you jumping on me for not being a professional bike mechanic? If I was that knowledgeable why would I be here? I know it's 5mm too close now, but I didn't even realise spindle lengths differed until recently. I hadn't had much use to know much about bottom brackets. I only removed my bottom bracket for the first time last week. I don't think anyone would expect a manufacturer to install the wrong component, would they? So I had no reason to think the bottom bracket was the issue on two fronts. Frankly you're trying to put this all on me and yeah, I was a bit hamfisted and a bit confrontational but at the end of the day I am someone who knows a fair amount about bikes but obviously not enough and still has some way to go. It's part of the learning process. At some point I plan to buy myself a torque wrench because I know I can be heavyhanded. That doesn't however give anyone the right to talk down to someone who's looking for help and is asking perfectly reasonable questions. Unfortunately this is a field where many people have no knowledge whatsoever so you're going to run into issues like this. You ought to accept this fact and get used to it rather than make people feel bad for not thinking in a way more advanced than their knowledge allows them to. That's why it's a help forum.
  • Chunkers1980
    No-one was rude or condescending, that's for sure. And I'm not quite sure what you were asking if you say you know the axel was the wrong length and failed to ever mention it, that was the problem, well with you being the other.

I'm out.
  • The Rookie
    Your behaving like a stroppy schoolgirl while asking for help....I'm with Chunkers and I'm out as well.

For reference it's the mod's job to pick people up, not yours, report it if you think it's wrong.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    Condescending mode on/
    The Rookie wrote:
    Your behaving ...
    It's you're.
    Condescending mode off\.

You're welcome.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Thank you CD.....