• Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    VTech should get the gig, he knows his motors
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    VTech should get the gig, he knows his motors

I'm like marmite though (actually only on forum life)
    I was working at home today and there was an old episode of top gear from 2004 and JC was reviewing the Gallardo. He was actually really good. It's a shame he turned from a very good presenter into a puppet character for kids to adore. His legacy will be as a daft old man instead of a very smart and witty broadcaster.

I'm chuffed that he only ever gave one perfect review of a car and I built it. It was a paramount performance jaguar. Maybe that's my claim to fame.
    Living MY dream.
  • Stephen Fry gets my vote.

"on your bike" Norman Tebbit.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    But as all three are gone.......
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,408
    Hard to see how the BBC will resurrect this in any sort of successful way without Clarkson, Hammond and May.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    VTech wrote:
    I was working at home today and there was an old episode of top gear from 2004 and JC was reviewing the Gallardo. He was actually really good. It's a shame he turned from a very good presenter into a puppet character for kids to adore. His legacy will be as a daft old man instead of a very smart and witty broadcaster.

Funnily enough, I've been watching old TGs on Dave whilst my back fixes itself. They've started screening the really old ones from 2003, etc. And it's very noticeable how it's all car tests and not 3 middle-age blokes arse'ing around. But, if I'm honest, it's not as funny. Although the most recent TG series was cack.

PS: VTech: love the paint on that Lambo. Mmmmmmm

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Stephen Fry gets my vote.

He's as much of a bore as JC though. Show needs someone fresh presenting it.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Didnt come to mind, but when I saw him in a list of suggestions, I immediately thought "that would work" - Jake Humphrey. He managed to turn the 3 man off track stuff at Grand Prix into a top gear type feel that also felt natural - and that was with Dave Coultard and Eddie Jordan, so no mean feat! BBC loved him and he wasnt afraid to be a bit controversial but in a controlled way that the BBC would like.

Anyone else I can think of would either be boring or just feel like they were trying too hard.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Surely the three amigos are going to do something else on another channel, so anything the BBC does will have no audience?

I certainly agree the most recent series was pretty abysmal (okay, with the occasional giggle), so something different is definitely required.
  • metronome
    metronome Posts: 670
    Guy Martin's name has been put forward...

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio ... t-top-gear

Great choice. I don't care for TG but I'd give it a try if Guy was presenting it. He seems like a real gent and his other TV shows have all been very good.
    tick - tick - tick
  • apreading
    You would need subtitles on if Guy was presenting though. I love him but cant understand him half the time and have to concentrate hard to follow programmes he does.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    metronome wrote:

Great choice. I don't care for TG but I'd give it a try if Guy was presenting it. He seems like a real gent and his other TV shows have all been very good.

ignoring the aspect hes one of those people with about 21 points on his driving license and shouldnt really be driving at all.

he's said time and again, that he hates all the attention his tv media stuff gets him and really struggles to cope with the whole fame thing, so much so hes scaling back on his bike racing so that he can have a bit of time back to himself in his workshop doing what he likes best which is fixing bikes & trucks and drinking tea.

becoming the lead presenter on BBCs prime time motoring show with all the attention and focus a post Clarkson era would bring, doesnt really seem to fit with that.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    Seeing as it's Friday I nominate Donty Mon, Carol and Swift Joe.
  • Philly8mt
    Philly8mt Posts: 552
    I'd give the gig to the GCN You Tube boys :D
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,717
    No one should replace them.
    The BBC should simply do the right thing and end a programme which is past it's "best by" date.

The best decision John Cleese made was to stop Fawlty Towers even though there was high demand.
    Top Gear is way past this point.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • RallyBiker
    RallyBiker Posts: 378
    PBlakeney wrote:
    The BBC should simply do the right thing and end a programme which is past it's "best by" date.

The best decision John Cleese made was to stop Fawlty Towers even though there was high demand.
    +1
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    PBlakeney wrote:

I really enjoyed the last season of Top Gear. I laughed out loud far more than I did for anything else on TV. Discussed it with friends far more the next day than anything else on TV.

If the 3 of them make an identical program on another channel, I'll watch that as well.

And so will millions of other people.
  • VTech
    frisbee wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

I really enjoyed the last season of Top Gear. I laughed out loud far more than I did for anything else on TV. Discussed it with friends far more the next day than anything else on TV.

If the 3 of them make an identical program on another channel, I'll watch that as well.

And so will millions of other people.

And there we have the very reason for all of this.
    Clarkson and his advisors know this which is why the plan was put in place some time ago.
    Now it's just a case of who has the deeper pockets.
    Living MY dream.
  • apreading
    VTech wrote:
    Clarkson and his advisors know this which is why the plan was put in place some time ago.

I am not going to get into whether it was planned or not but I am sure it wont be just about money. Jeremy's ego and possibly those of the others will want the new show to be as widely watched and keep him as big a star as he is used to being. This is why it probably wont go to Netflix, even if they offer the most money, because the show will not be as big as it is now. If ITV gave a big chunk of money and allowed the creative freedom he wants then they would be more likely to get it than a bigger bid from a niche channel. I use the term niche hesitantly because Netflix is big but just not universal, which is what he will want - he will want it to be bigger than under the BBC so that he can show them how great he is without them.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I have the inside scoop, it wasn't all part of a plan, he's just a bit of a douche
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • pblakeney
    apreading wrote:
    VTech wrote:

I am not going to get into whether it was planned or not but I am sure it wont be just about money. Jeremy's ego and possibly those of the others will want the new show to be as widely watched and keep him as big a star as he is used to being. This is why it probably wont go to Netflix, even if they offer the most money, because the show will not be as big as it is now. If ITV gave a big chunk of money and allowed the creative freedom he wants then they would be more likely to get it than a bigger bid from a niche channel. I use the term niche hesitantly because Netflix is big but just not universal, which is what he will want - he will want it to be bigger than under the BBC so that he can show them how great he is without them.
    Netflix may not be Universal but it is Worldwide (In a Western World sense). Would you say the same for ITV?
    Different markets but I would guess that on a Worldwide scale Netflix has more viewers than ITV.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • VTech
    The only reason I mentioned Netflix is due to the fact that they have invested a lot of money in the last few months into the company JC owns which is a media company.
    I also think that tune size of the channel he works for is unimportant, it could well be Chanel 5 for that matter as the money will come from sales of rights rather than single channel viewing figures.

Time of course will tell but the answer was made before the decision to leave.
    Living MY dream.
  • apreading
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Netflix may not be Universal but it is Worldwide (In a Western World sense). Would you say the same for ITV?
    Different markets but I would guess that on a Worldwide scale Netflix has more viewers than ITV.

ITV (or whoever) would sell the programme internationally to the same people that BBC has been selling it to. Which would have greater reach overall than Netflix.
  • pblakeney
    apreading wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

ITV (or whoever) would sell the programme internationally to the same people that BBC has been selling it to. Which would have greater reach overall than Netflix.
    So, in conclusion, it doesn't really matter which channel buys the programme, or their viewing figures, as Netflix (for example) could do the same.
    That is, if any channel proceeds.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • apreading
    No, Netflix would want it as exclusive content - that is the whole point for them.
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    Anyway. What's going to happen to the already filmed bits of the last 3 unseen episodes?
    Will they ever be seen/appear on Youtube?
  • pblakeney
    apreading wrote:
    No, Netflix would want it as exclusive content - that is the whole point for them.
    My original point was that Netflix had higher viewing figures than ITV.
    That was then pushed out so that ITV also included other Worldwide channels. Fair enough if you wish.
    I don't think that Netflix having House of Cards or Orange is the New Black as exclusive content was a major faux pas.
    Anyway, back to TG.
    Best to say bye bye.

As I said on an other thread, BBC DVD/Download of new exclusive unshown footage coming to you soon. For a price.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Gotta be me.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,533
    metronome wrote:

Not eloquent enough.
  • Philly8mt
    Philly8mt Posts: 552
    My Top Gear dream team would be ...

Guy Martin
    Sabine? - The German lass
    Chris Evans

That'd work! :D
    Still thinking of something clever to say!