Q-Ring Users Opinions?

crossed
crossed Posts: 237
edited March 2015 in Road general
I'm currently running Rotor Q-rings on both of my MTB's and I find that I'm feeling a benefit, especially on the climbs. I'm debating whether or not to get some for the roadbike but I'm a bit concerned about any shifting problems.

The MTB's run the QX1 single ring set-up so there's no front shifting issues at all but I'd imagine that there could be some shifting issues with a double set-up.

If you're currently using Q-rings, are you having any shifting issues?
Is there anything in particulars that needs to be done to ensure they shift correctly?

Comments

• schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    I've been using Q rings on my road bike for a couple of years, they're on my Rotor 3D Power2max chainset and I use them with both a 10 speed and 11 speed Di2 set up and have had no shifting problems at all. You just need to be careful to set up the front mech correctly.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    I had them running with a SRAM Force front mech and they weren't great - shifting was definitely slow and it was a lot fussier with set up. Slightly out and it would ship the chain. Eventually decided that it wasn't worth the hassle and replaced with Praxis ones which have been great.
  • Scotty-Gee
    Scotty-Gee Posts: 156
    No shifting problems here at all, crisp and fast.

Whether there is any benefit in the actual shape is still up for debate.
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    Been running Q-rings on a Tarmac for nearly 2 years - shifting is excellent, you just need to set the front mech up right.

I now have 2 Tarmacs, and the new one has normal rings.

I switch regularly between the two, and can't tell a difference in pedalling style or power / efficiency.

I like the principle / science behind Q Rings, but in reality I don't think they make much difference (to me anyway).
  • As above, no problems if the front dérailleur is set up properly. I run them on road, mtb and CX bike.

I've been on them for 12 months or so and can't pedal round chain rings any more, my feet actually get stuck at the top of the stroke on round rings! I really notice a difference when trying to use round rings, the dead spot is far more noticeable and the pedalling motion feels less smooth.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    No shifting issues with Di2, although they'll never be as crisp as DA or Praxis rings. I don't notice any difference in performance or feel so I've gone to an Osys profile on my TT bike to see if that works.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • crossed
    crossed Posts: 237
    Sounds promising.

I think it might be worth me getting the front mech set up by someone who knows what they're doing when I get the rings then!
  • dilatory
    dilatory Posts: 565
    No shifting issues, in fact shifting is so crisp you wouldn't even know the difference.. I have 53 Q ring and am at the max of my braze on clamp but that sits perfectly. I guess if I went for QXL I'd need an extender.

The only thing I've noticed with Q rings is that out of the saddle efforts (hills, sprints) the back seems more happy to skip out.
  • dilatory wrote:
    The only thing I've noticed with Q rings is that out of the saddle efforts (hills, sprints) the back seems more happy to skip out.

Must be that extra power they promise :D
  • dilatory
    dilatory Posts: 565
    I think it's just a technique thing, I guess on the downstroke where the rear wheel is at its lightest is also when you're pushing the bigger gear...
  • cswitch
    cswitch Posts: 261
    SRAM doesn't work great with them but with an ultra mech shifting is much better.