Hand Pain.

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited April 2015 in Health, fitness & training
Just wondering, at what point do people deem it acceptable to visit a doctor for aches and pains?

Most probably related to MTB, but could be due to my job being PC based, I'm having trouble with my hands and have done for quite a while (+3 months). They're very "slow" and going from open to extended.
Holding onto the bars is becoming more and more difficult.

I've also got a very sore wrist... putting any pressure on a flat palm is uncomfortable, I can do about 2 press ups before it becomes too painful to continue.
I did think sprained wrist at 1st, but I've had it for well over a month now and hasn't improved. I'm starting to think it could be bone on bone, but can't be sure.

But yeah, typical bloke, hate going to the doctors. Hate feeling like I'm waisting a doctors time when there is probably someone else out there waiting for an appointment for something more serious.

I've run out of these, not sure if I can get them on the NHS.
Growacet_zpsffyzn7nc.jpg

Comments

• wilberforce
    wilberforce Posts: 296
    Man up, and go get it checked out.

It is obviously bothering you else you would not have posted about it on here
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    As above get it checked out. could very well be Carpel Tunnel, some useful exercises on the tinterweb that can help if you have a Google, but always best to get professional advice :)
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • Check out the link below. I used to suffer handlebar palsy. few adjustments made to my position on the bike and problem sorted. The doctor will initially get you x-rayed and it could take many months before you get an MRI or tested for Carpel tunnel so no harm in trying to sort it yourself in the mean time.

http://www.hughston.com/hha/a_15_3_2.htm

best of luck
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Yup doc Is the way,

I had similar a couple of years ago, and it turned out just getting a wrist support for the pc at work solved my issues, but doctors advised I was wise to check as it could been something far worse...