LeJOG route advice please!

jameses
jameses Posts: 653
edited May 2015 in Tour & expedition
Apologies if this has all been covered before, but the search didn't bring anything up for me. A friend and I are doing Land's End to John O'Groats this summer and I am after some route advice. We will be credit card touring, so travelling reasonably light (small panniers/large saddle bag) and staying in hostels/b&b's en route. Looking to do the trip in 10-12 days, 80-110 miles each day and avoiding main roads where possible. The vague route I have plotted so far is as follows:

Land's End - Tintagel
Tintagel - Taunton (my home)
Taunton - Hereford
Hereford - Northwich
Northwich - Windemere
Windemere - Dumfries
Dumfries - Loch Lomond
Loch Lomond - Fort William
Fort William - Dornoch
Dornoch - John O'Groats

I am happy with the first three days, it all being territory I am familiar with. The Midlands I am not so sure about. The route above takes us between Liverpool and Manchester, which seems like it is fairly built up/industrial/not very pleasant riding. The alternative is to head further east from Hereford, into the Peak District/Forest of Bowland. Given it is likely to be much hillier, I would plan on shorter mileage and fit in an extra day getting up to Dumfries, then join back in with the planned route.

If anyone has any advice on the either route, it would be much appreciated. I also have no idea about Scotland, it seems like your only options are main roads or rediculous hills! Are the main roads very busy? Are the hills as bad as the profiles suggest?

Thanks!

Comments

• whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    Try the CTC forum they have a section dedicated to LeJOG
    http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewforum.php?f=22
    They also have three advised route. The shortest that includes some busy roads, one that avoids all busy roads and a middling one that will do a short section of busy road to avoid a long detour. The routes can be downloaded if you are a CTC member.
  • jameses
    Exactly what I was looking for, thanks!
  • Hi James,

You are probably sorted now, but I thought details of my trip may help.
    My day 1 finished at Bridestowe, 96 miles, 7251' of climbing, this link https://www.strava.com/activities/143926997 may lead you to my strava, and the next 8 days.
    Day 2 - B to Chew Magna, 96 miles, 6302'. I know you said you live in Taunton, adjust to taste!
    Day 3 - CM to Ludlow, 96 miles, 5528'.
    Day 4 - L to Preston, 117 miles, 4373' and the only bit of road to give me concern, A49 up to Shrewsbury.
    Day 5 - P to Lockerbie, 120 miles, 5761'. with bonus of night in my own bed!
    Day 6 - L to Loch Lomond, 103 miles, 3417'. Got lost in Glasgow when I only had to stick to the River!
    Day 7 - LL to Fort William, 78 miles, 5214', glorious day over Glencoe.
    Day 8 - FW to Tain, 99 miles, 4897', with the only climb that made me stop for a breather, you'll know it when you see it.
    Day 9 - T to John O'Groats, 83 miles, 4271'.

Have a safe journey.

Steve Hampton
  • jameses
    Thanks Steve, that should come in handy!
  • ronnierocket
    ronnierocket Posts: 172
    Here is a link to our route

https://hitimes.wordpress.com/the-route/

You can also read our blog if are in need of something to do on the trip and lead up!!