Shimano 10 spd group with 11 spd chainset

shinsplint
shinsplint Posts: 565
edited March 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi chaps,

Is it advisable to use an 11 speed chainset with a remaining 10 speed group?

Reason I ask is I want to change from a compact to a 52/36 chainset, an the latest 105 looks great.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Itll be fine
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • dazz_ni45
    dazz_ni45 Posts: 468
    Have it on mine and it works fine
  • shinsplint
    Cheers guys,

I guess my main concern is whether the slight difference in chain-ring width will cause the chain to run less smoothly. My existing 10 speed set up is almost silent and I wouldnt want to lose this.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    ShinSplint wrote:
    Cheers guys,

I guess my main concern is whether the slight difference in chain-ring width will cause the chain to run less smoothly. My existing 10 speed set up is almost silent and I wouldnt want to lose this.

There is no difference in individual chainring width - all chains from at least 7sp have had the same internal width, possibly earlier. The two rings on 11sp chainsets are slightly closer together - maybe .5mm - that's the difference.
  • shinsplint
    rafletcher wrote:
    ShinSplint wrote:
    Cheers guys,

There is no difference in individual chainring width - all chains from at least 7sp have had the same internal width, possibly earlier. The two rings on 11sp chainsets are slightly closer together - maybe .5mm - that's the difference.

ok thanks for clearing that up.

So basically the only difference I may notice is when changing from ring to ring, and even that is negligible.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Been using a 6800 chainset for a while now with my 10 speed 5700 shifters no problem, go for it.
  • tincaman
    tincaman Posts: 508
    Been using 5800 on a 9 speed Sora chainset with no problems