Tapered Steerer Fork on Aizan

vtecroadhog
vtecroadhog Posts: 3
edited March 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all.. not recently began mtb and after a few outings got fed up of forks seizing twice in the space of a month in my modest voodoo aizan 29.

looking to upgrade the fork and seen some decent one around which fir my budget, however not sure if the Cane Creek's XX 44mm headset assembly would allow me to fit a tapered fork..?

I believe the aizan has a 44mm inner cup headtube and was puzzled to see no bearings there when I removed the forks to clean! :shock:

appreciate some feed back as would like to be assured before I purchase a fork I cant fir :oops:

Comments

• IIRC the headset is a pretty standard 1 1/8 aheadset, the bearings are probably caged and hidden under a seal that you can pop out
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    If you have a 44mm ID headtube, you can get an external lower headset cup that will allow you to fit tapered-steerer forks. You don't need to change the upper part.

Bear in mind that the change from an internal to external cup will probably increase the stack height by about 10mm, so you might want to bear that in mind when selecting your new forks - don't increase the travel too much.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The voodoo's use a semi cartridge bearing with rollers, very robus.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Guys thanks for the replies!

Done some research and as you mentioned the external should do the trick :wink: sticking to 120mm travel so believe I can live with the extra 7-10mm height increase..

Thanks again