second hand bike/frame to upgrade for road race.

2»

Comments

• denispearl
    denispearl Posts: 152
    t4tomo wrote:
    denispearl wrote:
    I dond mind h1 or h3 really. I would like them both. Size is the question for me now
    56 would be bang on in most brands, as you are similar measurement to me, but I would definitely test that before you buy. I'm 5'11" and 32 IL, and a 56 Trek Domane fitted me fine when I hired one last summer. My Bianchi is a 57 but it's TT length is 56.

Will do. Thanks for the input, mate.
  • denispearl
    denispearl Posts: 152
    t4tomo wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    denispearl wrote:
    Yes you right, as for the frame. Its perfect for the frame only. There are however a number of second hand bikes on ebay with good frames and components which are of a great value. I'd rather to pick ready to ride decent bike, than a frame only, to be honest.

Apologies Denis, didn't realise you were looking for a complete bike for the money.

The 105 5800 11 spd groupset can be bagged for about £265 at the moment from Merlin with cashback, and I think that frame could be had with cashback for effectively £490 - which puts you at £755.

You could go super cheap on the handlebars, stem, seatpost, and saddle, or you might have some knocking about you could use?

And any wheels on a shop bought bike you will probably want to replace anyway, so you could always nab a pair of WHR500's (For £60) to get you going and later to use as winter wheels, and then upgrade later on.

So by my Rachel Riley maths, I reckon you could get seatpost, handlebars, saddle and stem for £120, wheels for £60, plus the frame and groupset, and you are a shade under £950 - might be worth considering, as they are lovely frames, and new.
    That would be a nice bike let down by cheap wheels.
    Hopefully will replace the wheels if will get to that point.
    Thanks for the input.