Tubulars

smiley_boy2501
smiley_boy2501 Posts: 126
edited March 2015 in Road buying advice
Bought some planet X tubulars to go on my new bike. They will mainly be for racing but I plan to do some weekend rides and long alpine trips on them too.
I was planning on conti sprinters given they seem to have good overall durability and speed for the price.
I know vittoria cx are meant to be the bomb but at £40 they seem to be too much for the mileage you get.
Any comments?

Comments

• ror3h
    ror3h Posts: 68
    I got some Vittoria evo CX tubs cheap, great tyres. The ride is so smooth even compared to good clinchers (usually ride GP4000s) it's lush! They're summer wheels for the best bike though, so I've not been too concerned about mileage.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Thats the cheaper 270 tpi tub they might be selling At 40 pounds it might not also. The corsa cx tub is no longer called the evo. If you see evo it is old stock. Look for 320tpi casing and iso grip then you will be happy if not it is simply o.k.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • cycleclinic
    If you want a durable training tubular then conti sprinters in 25mm are a good choice.
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    Thats the cheaper 270 tpi tub they might be selling At 40 pounds it might not also. The corsa cx tub is no longer called the evo. If you see evo it is old stock. Look for 320tpi casing and iso grip then you will be happy if not it is simply o.k.

Very true. Watch out for the Evo model as I always found them sketchy in the wet.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Grill wrote:

Are these any good? Look to have a decent TPI and latex inners. Tempted to buy, pre-glue and store..
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • jordan_217
    OP: Yes the Conti Sprinters are good IME. They were the first tubs I bought as I wanted to give the tubs a try without breaking the bank. I used them for racing and nice weather/faster training for a whole season without any issues.

I then replaced with Conti Competitions and kept the Sprinters for spares (take one out with me, just in case) They still have plenty of life in them and the base tape is still in good condition too so refitting them will be fairly straight forward.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    Grill wrote:

Bargain indeed, but red would look like shite on my OPQS Tarmac (blue for those that don't know!)
  • jordan_217
    Grill wrote:

Bargain indeed, but red would look like shite on my OPQS Tarmac (blue for those that don't know!)

Not on my red and black Addict they wouldn't :D 8)
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I've found them to be a good tub. Not quite an Ultremo HT, but for the price who cares.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Thanks for the replies. I can't find a conti sprinter in 25mm.... Only the gatorskin version.
    How does the width compare to clinches btw? IE 25mm in clinches is cushioned, 23mm alright and anything below downright awful. Tubulars similar?
  • iron-clover
    iron-clover Posts: 737
    Tubulars are a lot comfier than clinchers. I rode on 22mm sprinters in France which included about 1/4mile of sharp gravel driveway at the start and end of each ride, and even at 120psi they felt nicer than any clinchers I've had- probably a little better than 25C Michelin Pro4 endurance at 90psi.

Similar story with my current 21-22mm Vittoria CXes, they don't feel quite as nice as the contis but fare well compared to clinchers.
    Unfortunately they are the old 'evo' model which explains why they're pretty sketchy in the wet. They're like rails in the dry though.
  • cycleclinic
    edited March 2015
    Try a 25mm tub then at 90 psi or even better 27mm paves. The thjnking about it makes me want to ride them again.

My favourite tubs are vittoria corsa, pave and conti competition. These for me cover all basis and you can add the conti sprinter if you want something cheap but all tubs are reasonable to me.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    I use 22mm Conti Sprinters for trainin', racin' and all round ridin ' - can't fault them.

Last for ages, roll really well, pretty darn good on the "p" word and very well priced. Well recommended.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Sounds like conti sprinters are a good all round for the price. Pair of those then please. Heard they are a pain to mount and get straight though. Perfect for my first foray.
  • jordan_217
    Sounds like conti sprinters are a good all round for the price. Pair of those then please. Heard they are a pain to mount and get straight though. Perfect for my first foray.

If you're gluing, stretch the tyre between applications on the base tape. I found this helps when it comes to mounting them.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Sounds like conti sprinters are a good all round for the price. Pair of those then please. Heard they are a pain to mount and get straight though. Perfect for my first foray.

Negative Ghostrider - no problems at all with them - with tape its a five minute job for each tub.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.