Fulcrum Rim Wear

chedabob
chedabob Posts: 1,133
edited March 2015 in Workshop
I noticed the other day that there's a bit of a lip on the driveside brake track on the rear wheel of my Fulcrum Racing 5s. The wear indicator is completely gone, but there's barely any wear on the non-drive side or the front brake track. If I put a ruler up against it there's a bit of a gap so it's definitely concave.

I hose the pads and the rims down almost every weekend, and there's never any metal shards on the pads when I remove them. I commute on these wheels, but it's all on tarmac (granted it's through an industrial estate so there's a fair amount of crap on the road). I'm meticulous about getting the brake pads centred as I can't stand them rubbing as I run them very close to the rim.

Now I'd probably just put this down to general wear and tear, but I've only done 3-4000kms over 18 months. Is this normal? Have I done something to accelerate the wear on one side?

Comments

• I've got a pair of 2014 Fulcrum 6.5s (Fulcrum 5 hub, Fulcrum 7 rims) and they are bullet proof. I have about the same distance on mine - 3600km to be precise - and almost no sign of wear on either rim on either side and I don't clean the pads anywhere near as regularly as you do.

Something strange must have happened to your rims but I have no idea what would have caused that.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Maybe your brakes are producing more force on one side of the caliper than the other. The left/right centre adjustment might be way off.

To properly maintain your rims you should scrub them with a tough scourer and hot soapy water (or degreaser) every now and then.

Same with the brake pads. a light sanding also helps clear any crap from them.

Your rims may look clean after a hose down but doing just that wont fully remove the fine aluminium dust which turns to paste which slowly grinds them down.