All rounder bike. Spesh Crosstail?

jpower
jpower Posts: 554
edited March 2015 in MTB buying advice
I was looking for a bike around the £500 mark that would work for roads, gravel and some more dirty stuff too.

I have a road bike already, although I don't do much mountain biking, I do go to some terrains where I use my mountain bike, but am planning to sell this to get something else that would be a good crossover.

Currently I have my eye on the Specialized Crosstail Sport Disc, wondering if I could get some recommendations on others to look at in this breed.

Thanks.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Won't do the dirty stuff, it's a hybrid nit an MTB.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I have a comp disc crosstrail, Its great on toe paths,canal paths etc. Front fork travel is limited so wouldnt be great on really bumpy stuff but it is great for those dirty rides that you dont want to get the road bike out for.
    I have done some pretty big road rids on it in the winter time too and it has always been great.
    I am currenytly thinking of selling mine however to buy an all out mountain bike.
    Let me know if you are interested i was thinking aaround £300 for it.

george
  • jpower
    I have a comp disc crosstrail, Its great on toe paths,canal paths etc. Front fork travel is limited so wouldnt be great on really bumpy stuff but it is great for those dirty rides that you dont want to get the road bike out for.
    I have done some pretty big road rids on it in the winter time too and it has always been great.
    I am currenytly thinking of selling mine however to buy an all out mountain bike.
    Let me know if you are interested i was thinking aaround £300 for it.

george

What size is the bike? How old, condition, usage? And most petty of all what colour is it (although it matters to me)?

I have someone potentially buying my Spesh Hardrock Sport on Thursday if he does choose to buy then I would def be interested based on the above answers, unless your interested in a trade, but its barely an entry level mountain bike.
  • It is 2013, in very good condition, the odd cable rub on the front end, just had new brake pads as they were very low. It has covered a fair amount of ground but mainly as a winter road bike to be honest. I replaced the chain last year and have ridden about 350 miles on it since. just as a heads up, at the moment I am in italy and will be untill October and the bike is at my parents house, but they would be happy for it to be collected but it is probably beyond them to box it up for a courier. Oh and it is white and black, but mainly white. Attached is a photo of it new, this is not my actual bike. If you wanted some pictures, I can ask my parents to take some for you.

George
    https://bicyclesportshop.wordpress.com/ ... rosstrail/
  • Ps what year and condition is the hardrock?
  • jpower
    Damn my head says your crosstail would be a good thing, but I was really looking for a black frame, I know it should not matter, may just wait till August when I can get a bike on the bike2work scheme.

The Hardrock is old its a 2006 model: http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/ ... drocksport

Actual: http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss46 ... EE34B8.jpg

I would say its done less then 1,000 miles as I use my road bike and this only when I take the kids out riding, think the last checkup the bike had was a few years back, it does have some scraps on the framework on the rear fork.
  • no worries, as i said i was only thinking about selling it, i do still love the bike, it is a very versitle ride the only limiting factor being the 50mm front forks mean that you cant really throw some mtb wheels on and go too hard off road.
  • jpower
    no worries, as i said i was only thinking about selling it, i do still love the bike, it is a very versitle ride the only limiting factor being the 50mm front forks mean that you cant really throw some mtb wheels on and go too hard off road.
    No worries, if I wasn't a fuss pot for colours, it would have been ideal. Although you did answer one question for me that Crosstail is quite a versatile bike, which is what I am looking for, and double up as a winter trainer is very useful.

Any other bikes to consider?
  • jpower
    picked up a crosstrail, think it will do the job required, never used disc brakes before, damn it stops a bit suddenly.