DA 9000 and SRAM Red 22 compatibility.

JC78DSL99
JC78DSL99 Posts: 94
edited March 2015 in Workshop
Can I use a Dura Ace FD with a Sram Red shifter? Red FD is cr*p.

Can I use a Dura Ace cassette with a Red chain? Red cassette is ££££'s.

10 speed seems ok, cant find anything on-line for 11 speed.

Thanks

Comments

• norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    There's nothing wrong with Red front derailleurs, in fact they're great. It probably just isn't setup properly. I can use every gear without rubbing, but it is trickier than a normal derialleur to setup. They need quite high cable tension too.

You can use Sram and DA cassette/chains mixed no problem, not sure about the FD but you can't the rear as they have different pull ratios I think.

I have Red with a DA cassette and KMC chain, runs lovely and quiet.
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    i'd imagine the red and dura ace front mechs have different pull ratios
  • JC78DSL99
    JC78DSL99 Posts: 94
    NorvernRob wrote:
    There's nothing wrong with Red front derailleurs, in fact they're great. It probably just isn't setup properly. I can use every gear without rubbing, but it is trickier than a normal derialleur to setup. They need quite high cable tension too.

You can use Sram and DA cassette/chains mixed no problem, not sure about the FD but you can't the rear as they have different pull ratios I think.

I have Red with a DA cassette and KMC chain, runs lovely and quiet.

It is great when it works but it keeps going out of alignment and overshifts dropping the chain on to the crank arm and rubs against the inside of the crank arm. I can't believe the cable needs replacing already as its only 5 months old. Its been to the LBS twice so its being adjusted properly. The DA one appears less sensitive.

I was concerned about pull ratios and was hoping someone has experience running a DA FD on a Red set up.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    Overshifting sounds to me like not enough cable tension, it will sit in the right place but when the lever is pushed to switch to the big ring it will overshift then move back in and you won't realise what's happened. Because the mech appears to be sitting in the right place you set the limit screws like that, but they're actually set wrongly.

My old force derailleur came setup from the shop exactly like that, and I had exactly the same issue until I found out about cable tension needing to be quite high on the Sram mechs. Since then I've done thousands of miles on that Force and then Red mechs without a single chain drop.

Try pushing the shift lever as far as it will go whilst watching the mech as it moves out - release the lever and if the mech moves back in at all that's your problem. There are Sram's own technical videos on YouTube that show you exactly how to setup the mechs from scratch.