Rapha pro team jacket

spasypaddy
spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
edited March 2015 in Road buying advice
Does anyone have one?

How does it compare to the castelli alpha?

Comments

• marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    spasypaddy wrote:
    Does anyone have one?

Yes.
    spasypaddy wrote:

Don't know.

Hope that helps. :wink:

It's a very decent jacket that serves me well over the winter months. I run cold, so will have a base layer and a long sleeve jersey under it - but if you run warm, it would work well with just the base layer.

Pretty windproof and will cope with a shower.

Thumbs up - especially if you can bag one in the sales or with a discount code etc.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12988361

nice big recent discussion. Alpha is also on discount on that sports site which does flash deals and name escapes me
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    ive already got an alpha (from sport pursuit as it just so happens)

was just wondering how it compared as the rapha jacket is on sale and i have a voucher for £25 as well.

marcus to what temperature would you say its suitable?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    marcusjb wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:
    Does anyone have one?

Yes.
    spasypaddy wrote:

Don't know.

Hope that helps. :wink:

It's a very decent jacket that serves me well over the winter months. I run cold, so will have a base layer and a long sleeve jersey under it - but if you run warm, it would work well with just the base layer.

Pretty windproof and will cope with a shower.

Thumbs up - especially if you can bag one in the sales or with a discount code etc.

That for me too

Good with a winter base layer (i.e. Helly Hanson Warm) to zero deg, not much good if it's colder than that though. Fit is good on the bike but fairly ridiculous off of it. If you want to look cool order a size up (I cannot :oops: )

I don't wear it much any more over the last few weeks though. i'm warm enough with a good base layer and a long sleeve jersey now.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    spasypaddy wrote:
    marcus to what temperature would you say its suitable?

I've only ridden in about minus 5 in it - but I run (very) cold (and that will have been with probably 2 baselayers and a long sleeved jersey as well).
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    It's not as warm as the Alpha. But, to be fair, isn't designed to be.

But cheap today, of course. You can find the Alpha cheaper again mind.

At this time of the year the Pro Team remains a good jacket to go to. Possibly now too warm for the Alpha.

Size wise they'll be the same.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    I have one of the original versions of the Pro Team, and tbh it's one of the best bits of kit I own. I suppose the temperature depends entirely on the wearer, but I use mine at anything from 2c up to 10c, with various baselayers underneath. It's supposed to be a 'race-fit', but I wanted a more relaxed feel so went for a size up (M rather than S). The DWR does a good job of keeping the rain off for quite some time, and it's very protective against a cold wind.

At the time of writing Rapha have about £45 off in their 'Spring Classics' offer, so even more reason to get one!
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    One of the best pieces of kit I own, great from 10 degrees down to zero, you just layer up underneath as required. Keeps the wind off well but is very breathable so you don't over heat. Very versatile piece. Not fully waterproof though it's fine in a shower, I tend to pack a light waterproof to go with it on long rides.
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    I did have both, but the Rapha PT jacket is similar to the Alpha jersey, imo. I sold my Rapha Pro Team and kept the Alpha jersey instead and haven't regretted it since. I look forward to wearing the Alpha jersey it's that good! I think the Rapha is slightly more breathable when zipped up but that's due to the loose neck on it which I wasn't to keen with. The alpha is a much better fit all round though - neck, arm length and fit on torso is superb. I also like the fact the Alpha dries much quicker than the PT which used to be soaking outside when I got home (shows its working of course) whereas the Alpha if damp dries quick.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    You shouldnt be able to fit a jersey and base layers under the pro-team its supposed to be tight. I can get two tight base layers under it and its good down to 4-5 degrees. Its like a cross between a jacket and a jersey and works well.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • domc21
    domc21 Posts: 86
    the pro team jacket is a great piece of kit and gets plenty of use in the winter..... i pair it with a long sleeve merino base layer and I'm toasty right down to 0-5 deg...

When its wet i stick a pro team race cape over the top...
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    I sold my pro team jacket as i lost weight and it was too big but it was a fantastic bit of kit...and for me, wearable from around 5/6 to well below freezing (I run hot).

I have the alpha jersey...still making my mind up but so far it's as overrated as the gabba I had and sold. If I hadn't bought it recently I'd have bought another pro team jacket like a shot...still might if I think I can get much back on eBay for the alpha.

But...for me the alpha is usable in warmer temperatures so that may be it's saving grace tbh. It's not usable like a jacket I find as it basically smells a lot more (as would a normal jersey) and as such can only be used once a week - that may be the killer blow tbh

Most people love their alpha so check out that thread for a lot more (and positive) views
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    domc21 wrote:
    the pro team jacket is a great piece of kit and gets plenty of use in the winter..... i pair it with a long sleeve merino base layer and I'm toasty right down to 0-5 deg...

This.
  • Flasher wrote:
    domc21 wrote:

This.

I think if it was that cold and that wet, I'd use the turbo :wink:
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Flasher wrote:
    domc21 wrote:

This.

I think if it was that cold and that wet, I'd use the turbo :wink:

No point having the kit and not putting it to good use 8)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Selling my 55 mile old 2014 Pro Team Jacket (M, Orange) in the classifieds for £90 collected in Central or SW London or add a few quid P+P. Sadly it transpires I am a medium.