Hybrid Needed For £450 From Evans (cycle2work scheme)

robtherevelator1969
edited April 2015 in Commuting chat
Hi Guys

I will be looking to buy a new hybrid soon through the cycle to work scheme, i can pick a bike from evans cycles, i dont want to spend more than £400 but will up it to £450 if it gets me something better. Im a 6ft guy but all the hybrids seem to be unisex. So what are the main components i should be comparing between bikes? Does anyone know of which brand or bike is best to go for at this price point? No racks or mudguards needed. They dont have the weight listed so im concerned i choose a heavier bike than i would like. I will be using the bike for leisure use as well as my 9 mile each way commute, mostly through streets.

bikes up to the £450 ish price range, the cheaper 2014 models are not in my size.
CLICK HERE FOR EVANS HYBRID BIKES

Comments

• oxoman wrote:
    Rob, ideally you need to give a little bit more information, for example is it hilly or flat on your intended commute, do you want front suspension, hydraulic brakes etc. you stated that you don't want mudguards, unless you intend being a fair weather cyclist i would suggest having them. I have slimmed your list down a bit so try the link. I would go and have a look if i was you. Remember you may need lights, pump, repair kit, Helmet, etc so don't forget to budget for these and a Decent lock unless you have secure storage at work.
    http://www.evanscycles.com/categories/b ... e_from=256

There will be some hills but generally flat with a few long slow uphills, its hard to judge when driving :lol: . I dont want suspension due to the added weight and i dont like mudguards and racks etc, i prefer a clean look, i would use it in light rain bit a light waterproof jacket will be fine. I have all the accessories as i had a road bike a few years ago however i had to sell it due to job loss. I just feel the roads are a bit rough for a road bike.

I checked out your link and all i could see was 4 specialized bikes, all of which are above my budget, are you on commission ha ha (wee joke) :wink:
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    No racks or mudguards needed.

I'd just get a road bike, take off the drop bars, the STi shifters, the rear mech (if 10sp/11sp, but if 9sp it can be kept) and the front road mech and flog all of that.

Then get a pair of XTR shifters + matching rear mech if needed + flat bar brake levers + a cheap flat handlebar + the FD-R773 so it works with the front shifter and there it is. If it is running a double it might not even need a different front mech and I think the M980 shifter is switchable between x2 and x3.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Manc33 wrote:

I'd just get a road bike, take off the drop bars, the STi shifters, the rear mech (if 10sp/11sp, but if 9sp it can be kept) and the front road mech and flog all of that.

Then get a pair of XTR shifters + matching rear mech if needed + flat bar brake levers + a cheap flat handlebar + the FD-R773 so it works with the front shifter and there it is. If it is running a double it might not even need a different front mech and I think the M980 shifter is switchable between x2 and x3.

Why not just get a flat bar Road bike to start with
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    450 pound budget might just get you a road bike with Sora, but probably with Claris, the STis and Mechs of which might fetch 50 quid, on a good day, which definitely won't cover:

100 quid on shifters
    95 on a rear mech
    20 quid on levers
    30 on a front mech
    20 quid on a ten speed cassette to match the XTR shifters
    15 quid on a ten speed chain.
    and whatever a cheap bar costs.

Brilliant.
  • chadders81
    chadders81 Posts: 744
    Manc33 wrote:

This is absolutely mental. It's like saying 'don't buy a pair of trousers, get some shorts and then buy some curtains to stitch on the bottom'.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Chadders81 wrote:
    Manc33 wrote:
    Some Manc33 stuff

This is absolutely mental.
    You've seen the Law thread, right?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I just feel the roads are a bit rough for a road bike.

? Just fit wider tires and drop the psi a little.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165

If you (the OP) want a road bike, there is just the budget for a road bike, the shifters are a bit cheap and clunky. but they do work, okay. I have a CX for that budget so far its good.

could try ones like this? http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pinnacle/dolomite-one-2014-road-bike-ec054867#features

on the whole hybrids offer better spec at that price point, but sometimes nothing but drops feels right!
  • dhope

If you (the OP) want a road bike, there is just the budget for a road bike, the shifters are a bit cheap and clunky. but they do work, okay. I have a CX for that budget so far its good.

could try ones like this? http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pinnacle/dolomite-one-2014-road-bike-ec054867#features

on the whole hybrids offer better spec at that price point, but sometimes nothing but drops feels right!
    Or there's an Allez for £450. Would hold its value pretty well I expect.
    Shame you can't go to Decathlon, the Triban 500 would get you Sora for £450
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Manc33 wrote:

Because there is a conspiracy by our reptilian overlords to get us all on flat bar road bikes and hybrids. Just look in commuting general if you don't believe. Plus there is a video on Youtube that I can't find telling me this.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    I've been looking in Evans a lot recently, at other bike types from you, but the Evans own range called Pinnacle seem decent spec for lower prices than euqivalent big name brands. Take a look at say the neon or lithium ranges. The link below are some I initially clicked to compare. Cannondale is the biggest name but Norco are a good Canadian brand known for mountain bikes but also do other types. The Pinnacle is obviously a decent own brand for the money too. I do not know if these are any good.

http://www.evanscycles.com/categories/bikes/hybrid-bikes/f/unisex/rigid#!!page=1;per_page=99;price_from=336;price_to=456;sort=asc

BTW the Norco I have just spotted is a nexus geared bike. Hub gear IIRC so perhaps better as a commuter for durability??? Check with others on here. Only 8 gears but if it is not a hilly commute perhaps an option.

Last time I shopped for a hybrid I ended up with a specialized crosstrail sport disc which was the outgoing model (September sales) so cost me £400, now they go new for £550. Not to your tastes (front suspension on that one), but they also do road going hybrids that might be worth looking at.

One thing I have never had mudguards on a bike until I started commuting last year. I got sick of the wet feet. Even with sealskin socks on once the shoes were wet the feet felt cold. I ended up fitting full sized mudguards and my feet tended to stay dry in rain longer. On a half hour ride sometimes i lasted until nearly home before the wet and cold feet became an issue. Mind you last year I was actually riding through a few inches of water at a few times due to the road flooding. For the sake of a affecting the look of a bike you get a better level of comfort IMHO.
  • lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    +1 for commuting on a road bike.

I got through a park every morning that is smooth hard pack and I have no issues.

Specialized Allez Sport + 28mm tyres. If you can get the the Allez in the budget I would recommend it my Brother has it and it's been an excellent bike.

I would also say though that you're looking at another £100-200 in kit to do a regular 9mile each way commute in the form of clothes, helmet, lights, repair kit, spares and bag.
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Manc33 wrote:

They're all unisexish apparently.

That £800 carbon one at Planet-X looks a good deal (flat bar), only 10sp though and Tiagra.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXXLSFB/ ... -road-bike

I've been out of the game for ages but that seems cheap to me. The brakes on it are £90 for the calipers/rotors alone.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,329
    Manc33 wrote:
    That £800 carbon one at Planet-X looks a good deal (flat bar), only 10sp though and Tiagra.
    That's not really £450 or in Evans though, is it?
  • dhope
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Manc33 wrote:
    I know someone selling a nice used Range Rover, maybe that would work?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    dhope wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Manc33 wrote:
    I know someone selling a nice used Range Rover, maybe that would work?

As long as you cut the roof off to make it a convertible
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    Chadders81 wrote:

This is absolutely mental. It's like saying 'don't buy a pair of trousers, get some shorts and then buy some curtains to stitch on the bottom'.

:lol::lol::lol::lol: