Forum home Road cycling forum The bottom bracket

Between zero and five more years of David Cameron

RDWRDW Posts: 1,900
edited March 2015 in The bottom bracket
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... term-as-pm

"David Cameron unexpectedly ruled out serving a third term in office, causing dismay in Conservative circles as he highlighted three potential successors.

The prime minister said he felt fit enough to serve another full five years in Downing Street – if he were to remain in power after the forthcoming general election but added that after that it would be “time for new leadership”.

In an interview with the BBC, conducted largely in the kitchen of the prime minister’s Cotswolds home, Cameron named home secretary Theresa May, chancellor George Osborne and London mayor Boris Johnson as potential Conservative leaders.

“I’ve said I’ll stand for a full second term, but I think after that it will be time for new leadership. Terms are like shredded wheat: two are wonderful but three might just be too many,” the prime minister said."

Posts

  • No sad loss.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 46,791
    Let's hope it's more than zero because the alternatives don't really bear thinking about.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • orraloonorraloon Posts: 8,954
    Will Cameron be another ex-PM who never won an election? Yip, looking at you Gordon Brown.
  • Manc33Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    He will be back doing Lurpak™ commercials again. :lol:
  • QubeQube Posts: 1,899
    He's already started on ads for shredded wheat.
  • RDWRDW Posts: 1,900
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Let's hope it's more than zero because the alternatives don't really bear thinking about.
    Yes, the thought of George Osborne, Theresa May or (Gold help us) Boris Johnson running the country is indeed terrifying!
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 46,791
    RDW wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Let's hope it's more than zero because the alternatives don't really bear thinking about.
    Yes, the thought of George Osborne, Theresa May or (Gold help us) Boris Johnson running the country is indeed terrifying!
    So you prefer one or a combination of the following?
    Milipede
    Clegg
    Sturgeon
    Farage
    Bennett

    Scary.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • MisterMuncherMisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    If it's sufficiently tight, Cameron will have Robinson to appease. That won't be horrific at all.
  • pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 16,765
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    RDW wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Let's hope it's more than zero because the alternatives don't really bear thinking about.
    Yes, the thought of George Osborne, Theresa May or (Gold help us) Boris Johnson running the country is indeed terrifying!
    So you prefer one or a combination of the following?
    Milipede
    Clegg
    Sturgeon
    Farage
    Bennett

    Scary.
    Just as well that I read the option list after sleeping. :shock:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • RDWRDW Posts: 1,900
    I thought Clegg was your respected coalition partner? Why does he have to be on my list?
  • The real issue here is…what, if any is the alternative to Cameron and his slippery slimy cohorts!!!

    Ed Milliband seems totally out of his depth..if he were in charge, heaven help us…wishy washy is polite!!

    Clegg..TOTALLY untrustworthy..he got in bed with a nest of vipers simply to taste the power….and they turned on him…he's a puppet..nothing more..he might struggle to retain his Sheffield seat, such is the anger felt at his betrayals!

    Farage… A clown with absolutely no real political persuasion..they have only 2 things that are making them so popular…immigration and europe, ask them about law & order, health, education et cetc..they have NO idea, the problem is, he may well be in Cleggs position last time..as kingmaker!! How frightening is that!!!

    All in all we are in a sorry state… a party that have asset stripped the public service..hell bent on protecting their banking chums…and totally off the richter with this high speed train bo ll ox! Who needs to be in London 30mins earlier..just go earlier ..its not rocket science….or is it that all their buddies are investors in the companies that will get fat off the contracts..call me cynical, but that seems more realistic to me.
    What scares me is that the only ploy any of the other parties seem to use is one of scaremongering… i saw a poster the other day.. YOU AINT SEEN NOTHING YET referring to the cuts that are to come….
    Why don't they give us their ideas for an alternative..or is it because they don't have any!
    We are in a pickle, right good and proper.. I only wish I had emigrated years ago :cry::cry::cry:
  • pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 16,765
    ….or is it that all their buddies are investors in the companies that will get fat off the contracts..call me cynical, but that seems more realistic to me.
    Oh no! Another conspiracy thread!
    Not that you are wrong.
    Emigration is not always the answer though. I tried it once only to find out that the reason for it being greener on the other side is because it is continually pissing on you, in a metaphorical sense.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • TurboTommyTurboTommy Posts: 493
    Zero sounds good to me
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • RDWRDW Posts: 1,900
    It does seem like a bit of an own goal. Can't see it having a positive effect on his chances of re-election, and if he does manage to stay in No 10, it won't do much for his authority. As Tony Blair could tell him, it would be very difficult to serve anything like a complete term after announcing this - his party would want someone else in place well before the next election. Would any potential successor call an early election, as Gordon Brown should have done, or would they stay with the 5 year fixed term arrangement they came up with for the coalition? As for the successors, I can't see Osborne or May being particularly popular with the electorate, and as for Boris, the popular choice - well, his first confrontation with someone like Vladimir Putin would at least be entertaining...
  • Manc33Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    I want Miliband in on the off chance even more money gets sent to Israel. We only gave them £6 Billion last year, pretty sad. It doesn't even amount to £1,000 for every man, woman and child living there. Let's try to double it to £12 Billion for them. Our own public services might be a shambles, yes, but spare a thought for people in Israel, they have to come first.
  • RDWRDW Posts: 1,900
    Manc33 wrote:
    I want Miliband in on the off chance even more money gets sent to Israel. We only gave them £6 Billion last year, pretty sad. It doesn't even amount to £1,000 for every man, woman and child living there. Let's try to double it to £12 Billion for them. Our own public services might be a shambles, yes, but spare a thought for people in Israel, they have to come first.
    Where does your figure of £6 billion come from? Do you think Milliband will want to send money to Israel because he's Jewish? Are the people you believe are behind all these conspiracies also Jewish?
  • Manc33Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    No that 6 Billion was the US figure sorry, you can't find out the UK figure. There's a freedom of information request about it but they just said something like "this is the wrong department".
  • bondurantbondurant Posts: 857
    If you don't know it, just make it up.
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 46,791
    Bondurant wrote:
    If you don't know it, just make it up.
    Handily covers most conspiracy theories.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • chris_basschris_bass Posts: 4,913
    £343m over 5 years, to put it in context sky paid £4.2bn to show football for 3 years and bt paid £960m.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • orraloonorraloon Posts: 8,954
    Not bad, not bad at all for advertising Shredded Wheat.

    (R'spec' to Qube)
  • chris_basschris_bass Posts: 4,913
    He was kind of half advertising shredded wheat, he said 2 were nice but 3 were too much, not the greatest marketing strategy
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • QubeQube Posts: 1,899
    That was the Shredded Wheat marketing strategy back in the 80's.

    Remember the Ian Botham ads?

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9hKTA5oYF0
Sign In or Register to comment.