Canary Wharf

talius
talius Posts: 282
edited March 2015 in Commuting chat
This has probably been done before, but I can't seem to find anything on here which goes into any detail...

I've just started a new job in Canary Wharf, and the message from facilities is there's about a 2 - 3 month wait list for a bike space in the underground carpark, and about 2 years (!!) for a locker. So...

Does anyone know of any other options for canary wharf (and environs)? I know there's the underground carpark in Canada Square which has secure parking according to the Canary Wharf blurb, but that would mean parking the bike there, walking all the way to my building, getting the lift up 30 floors to my desk to get my stuff ,then going to all the way back down to the gym / showers etc. I guess it's doable, but if there was a gym or similar somewhere with bike parking and a locker life would be much easier...
Merckx EMX 5
Ribble 7005 Audax / Campag Centaur

RIP - Scott Speedster S10

Comments

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    we have a garage under the building yet people chose to park on the street to save the walk. If I was going to leave my bike anywhere it would be CW, the place is wall to wall CCTV and has it's own militia.
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    We've got a private taxiway run through one of our buildings in CW, yet bikes have still been stolen from there. Take a good lock or two. Not aware of any gym with secure parking.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The public but under canary wharf its pretty good as it is in a large cage and also has small lockers, and lockable bike racks (so 2x security). I used to contract at Barclays and used that one (its not too expensive).

I used to cycle in each day with my work clothes (leave a jacket at my desk) and leave my shoes in a locker in the cage and hang onto the key. I also used to leave a pair of flip flops in there, so had something to walk in other than bike shoes as I had SPD-SLs. I never had an issue leaving a towel in there hanging over a bike rack in the evenings. Can't really see the need to go up to your desk each day. Just don't leave your finest assos/ rapha stuff in there.
  • hegyestomi
    hegyestomi Posts: 504
    Did you have a look at the Reebok gym just above Waitrose?
    From they website:
    form available from the main reception.

LOCKER PRICES 2015
    Public Area Free of charge
    Joining fees:
    015 RATES*
    per month
    Full £128
    Weekend £75
    Joint/Couple £125 per person
    65+ £86
    Corporate £120-£124
    One Month Temporary £165
    *All memberships carry a £40 administration fee, unless a promotion is running.
    Our rates are reviewed every January.

Other fees
    Small Locker (outside changing area) £17 monthly
    Medium Locker (outside changing area) £22 monthly
    Private Locker (inside changing area) £27 monthly
    Premier Plus Exec Lounge £110 monthly *the above prices are in addition to your membership fees. To join the club click here.

TBH I would lock my bike up at the waitrose car park (somewhere in the basement) for free and change in the toilets.
  • talius
    Signed up for the secure underground carpark today, should take a week or so to organise so will see how it is.

Sorry for late response, but many thanks all!
    Merckx EMX 5

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I'm I missing something or are they charging through the nose for secure cycle parking and a tiny locker?

:shock:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The u/g one isn't that much
  • talius
    itboffin wrote:
    I'm I missing something or are they charging through the nose for secure cycle parking and a tiny locker?

:shock:

The secure parking under Canada Square is about £12 per month, I had a look at it yesterday when I signed up - it's pretty good, with day lockers etc.

The Reebok gym on the other hand is a fortune!
    Merckx EMX 5