Are my wheels toast?

ajkerr73
ajkerr73 Posts: 318
edited March 2015 in Workshop
Mavic Ksyrium Equipe S with about 7500km on them.

Broke a non-drive side spoke on the rear last week which cost £31 to fix (£16 labour).

Did another 200km at the weekend and another has gone, same side, same failure mode (hub end).

Is this the end??

Comments

• trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    £15 for 1 spoke is daylight robbery. They can be found cheaper online. Was the wheel de-tensioned and re-trued properly do you know ? or did they just fit 1 spoke and tension it ?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,250
    Looks like it's the end...
    left the forum March 2023
  • ajkerr73
    trailflow wrote:
    £15 for 1 spoke is daylight robbery. They can be found cheaper online. Was the wheel de-tensioned and re-trued properly do you know ? or did they just fit 1 spoke and tension it ?

On phoning the LBS this morning, turns out that the £15 was for a pack of 10 spokes, the remaining 9 of which were lying in the boot of my mates (who picked the wheel up for me) car!!!

Upshot was one confused mechanic wondering why I was expecting to spend £31 to get a spoke changed!!

He's now going to change out all 9 spokes on the non-drive side of the wheel to see if that does the trick.

Worth a shot I reckon.
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    yes, should be ok i'd wager
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380

Why?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • ajkerr73
    Wheel returned, 9 spokes changed out for £18....time will tell if this has extended my wheel's life.

Fingers crossed
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,250

Why?

When I said it, I assumed he was going to get charged 30 pounds per spoke. A rebuild was needed, so...
    left the forum March 2023