steel hardtail

kyle_172@hotmail.co.uk
edited March 2015 in MTB buying advice
Afte much deliberation ive decided to go the steel route and want to know of any suggestions you might have? I will be using it mainly for trail riding. Budget will be around a 1000 to 1200 complete build.

Comments

• cubedean
    cubedean Posts: 670
    On one 456
    Cotic bfe or soul
    Stanton slack line

All depends on what you want really? What are you likely to be riding? Wheel size etc...
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Whats the reason for limiting your choice to steel?
    Steel used to give a more compliant ride than aluminium. Some modern aluminium frames are more compliant than some steel frames. Some carbon frames are cheaper than steel as well.
  • Mainly at my local trails which is gisburn forest and a few trips to lakes. i was just under the impression steel gave you a more compliant ride, however if thats not the case im open to other suggestions. Wheels not to bothered about however not really a fan of the 29ers. Quick question am i right believing more and more forks are going the tapered route so would i better getting a bike that accomodates that.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Bikes vary and it's not just frame material - both frame materials can be comfortable. Geometry is more important IMO. I ride in the places you mention & changed from steel (Kinesis Decade 26er ) to alu (Whyte 9 series 26er ) - I couldn't tell any difference at all in terms of comfort. Alu was lighter though - I did notice that! My latest bike is a Whyte 905 (alu) & I can highly recommend that. Planet X 456 is a good budget option and Cotic are nice, if you do decide on steel.

However the standard on one Inbred (I've had the 26er version but the perhaps the 29er version will interest) is the single most comfortable hardtail bike I've ridden of any frame material. Apparently the 456 Inbred if much stiffer.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have had a couple steel On One frames and they are pretty harsh. Indestructible but harsh.
  • Ive just purchased a cove stiffee frame and will be building her up in the next month or so ready for summer. going off all reviews they seem fun and bombproof.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Fun, bombproof and stiff as a stiff thing at the rear (hence the name stiffee). Get the biggest volume tyres you can fit!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Thankyou for the advic. Ill do just that. It was going at a good price, was more of an impulse but im happy with it.
  • cubedean
    cubedean Posts: 670
    Thankyou for the advic. Ill do just that. It was going at a good price, was more of an impulse but im happy with it.

Will it take a tapered steerer fork? I had some trouble finding a good fork with the right length 1-1/8 steerer for my Orange. Not accepting tapered steerer tube really limits fork choices (especially new)
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Fun, bombproof and stiff as a stiff thing at the rear (hence the name stiffee). Get the biggest volume tyres you can fit!

Yes and go for low tyre pressure too of course.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    If you can find an Orange R8, they are lovely; I really like mine.

There are also lots of custom built jobbies that crop on ebay.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The soul is a nice choice, the frame is lighter than many aluminium frames as well.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Ive just purchased a cove stiffee frame
    Um further suggestions would appear a bit pointless.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools