Garmin segments - how to use them?

topcattim
topcattim Posts: 766
edited March 2015 in Road general
After having my 810 for a year now, yesterday while I was riding, it beeped at me and told me I was approaching a segment; as I rode through it, it compared my time with my apparent previous PB.
Why did it do this for just that particular segment? When I look at my ride on Connect, I rode through another Garmin segment and it gave me no notice of that one. And when I look on the Garmin Connect website, searching the map for those segments, neither are appearing.
Can anyone explain what is happening? I quite like the idea of being able to receive notification of getting close to certain stretches of road that I'd like to target, but I can't work out why it selects some but not others.
Thanks

Comments

• andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    Don't know about Connect, but you can do it with Strava segments.
    Tutorial here
    http://www.scarletfire.co.uk/use-your-g ... rava-koms/
  • topcattim
    Andy9964 wrote:
    Don't know about Connect, but you can do it with Strava segments.
    Tutorial here
    http://www.scarletfire.co.uk/use-your-g ... rava-koms/
    Does that still work now that Raceshape has been absorbed into Strava?
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    I would imagine so. All you're doing is, copying the segment data, and loading it onto your 800/810 as a route
  • topcattim
    Andy9964 wrote:
    I would imagine so. All you're doing is, copying the segment data, and loading it onto your 800/810 as a route
    thanks, will give that a go.
    I'm still interested in knowing how others are using and accessing Garmin segments, and in particular why this one segment was notified to me while I was riding , whereas the others aren't. Perhaps they're just not very widely used by us lot, which is why there's nothing to say here?
  • special11
    special11 Posts: 21
    I believe (and i may be wrong) that it only announces segments you have starred