BB30 frame + Ultegra cranks.

shinsplint
shinsplint Posts: 565
edited March 2015 in Workshop
Hi chaps,

My 2013 Felt F5 (10 speed) came with the FSA Gossamer chainset which frankly I want to upgrade to Ultegra.

I understand there are adapters available. Is there a well recognised one to go for?

Has anyone done this and can recommend a specific adapter? Whilst i've never fitted cranks myself, I now have the tools and hoping to have a go.

Another thing. It is a 50/34 compact on there at the moment and would prefer a 52/36. Given that its a 10 speed groupset, is it possible? Are there compatible chainrings available for the Ultegra 6700?

Thank you for any help :)

Comments

• trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    The Wheels Manufacturing BB30 to 24mm adapters are good. I've been runnning them for a year with no problems. They are easy to install by hand. They just slide into the BB30 bearings already installed in your frame. No tools needed.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/wheels-manufact ... dle-shims/

A cheaper alternative are these
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BBFSAPF30R ... -aluminium
  • shinsplint
    shinsplint Posts: 565
    Thanks Trailflow, looks like the one to go for :)
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    sram do these also where you can use a shimano BB:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sram-Truvativ ... 48592d4019

(for pressfit 30 - you may have BB30)
  • bianchibob
    bianchibob Posts: 306
    If you use the Wheels Manufacturing adaptor system, you might want to invest in their spacer washers as well.
    These can be used to ensure the width of the bikes bottom bracket is compatible with the width of the Ultegra crankset up.
    Also they will help set up the relationship with the chainwheel and cassette.
    I know this from experience when I fitted the same set up to my Specialized Venge as the crank spindle was too long. ie wider than the width of the bottom bracket. The result being the crank could move sideways in the bottom bracket about 2-3 mm this made drive train set up impossible.
    Addition of one spacer on the none drive side removed all play.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I bought a rotor BB30 to Hollowtech 2 for my plaet x frame. No worries about fitting bearings or owt like that, fits and is used just like a hollowtech bb, I'm well pleased with it?
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • This sounds like the exact change I made and had trouble with (see my post viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=13001854).

In summary: I had purchased the "Wheels Manufacturing BB30 to 24mm Crank Spindle Shims" from Wiggle which is for BB30. This is by far the most common one for sale on the internet. However I, and most likely anyone else whose bike comes with an FSA crankset, actually had a PF30 (pressfit) BB which I had read was 'for all intents and purposes the same as BB30'. In the case of shims they are very different and using the Wheels Mfg BB30 shims on a PF30 frame will mean (as in my case) that they end up much too wide. I fixed this by spending 2 hours sanding them down, which I wouldn't recommend. The correct solution is to buy Wheels Mfg's much rarer PF30 shims (e.g. http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/wheels-m ... tAodaSwANA). Providing you get those it should be an easy installation.

On your second point, all brands of 10 and 11-speed cranksets are, by and large, compatible. You will be able to run an 11-speed crankset with a 10-speed drive train no problem (and vice versa).
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    I have just upgraded my Felt F5 to Ultegra 6800. I probably have read every single thread ever created about BB30 convertors/adpators etc etc and while the Wheels Manufacturing one featured heavily, I wasn't convinced and decided to go for the FSA press-in threaded sleeve and then used the 6800 standard bottom bracket. The sleeve is bonded in with Loctite 603 (FSA recommend the medium strength 609 but i decided to use high strength 603 as I dont want it coming out again) The sleeve is a very neat job and makes changing the BB in future a simple affair.