Chain slipping after fitting new chain...

cookeeemonster
cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
edited March 2015 in Commuting chat
Hi, after checking my chain for the first time in about a month and finding it was slightly past the 0.5 mark (oops..) I went and bought a new ultegra one...fitted it...checked it all worked ok on workstand (WORKED FINE IN ALL GEARS!!!!) and forgot about it until my commute this morning.

Yep in hindsight...

So anyway, in the small front chainring...in the lower rear derailler gears the chain seems to slip a lot when under pressure (in my head I visualise it 'slipping', could be something else of course). Basically when I put any power down this happens (or maybe 'skip'? is a better word?)

If I go up the cassette (still in the front chainring) the problem disappears...and it seems more or less fine when I'm in the big ring (may have happened once).

I might buy a new casstte this lunchtime anyway (as I'll need one eventually) and I'll get some shimano replacement connector pins (crappy chains)...so...

Whats the consensus?
- fit new cassette?
- shorten chain?
- rear derailler adjustment?
- front derailler adjustment?
- tighen cable?
- learn to do this sh*t

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    fit new cassette, and read this: http://sheldonbrown.com/chains.html#wear
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    I might buy a new casstte this lunchtime anyway (as I'll need one eventually) and I'll get some shimano replacement connector pins (crappy chains)...so...
    Buy split links, much betterer. Don't believe anything Manc33 says about them.
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    Veronese68 wrote:
    +1 for split links, I use KMC missing Link for my Campag chains
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • cookeeemonster
    Thanks for your quick replies you wonderful people :)

Split links? What are they? Can they be used on shimano chains?
  • Thanks for your quick replies you wonderful people :)

Good lord, where have you been?

They're replacements outer links that you can open and close with a bit of wiggling and swearing. Yes, you can use them on any chain (one per chain).
  • veronese68
    Split links. Wonderful things, also carry a spare one and a chain tool and you can easily repair a broken chain when out if necessary. Not yet had to use it myself but have fixed a few others when out and about.
  • cookeeemonster
    Cheers I've ordered a set!
  • cookeeemonster
    Thanks for your quick replies you wonderful people :)

Good lord, where have you been?

They're replacements outer links that you can open and close with a bit of wiggling and swearing. Yes, you can use them on any chain (one per chain).

My brother informed me that yes, I have used split links before...on the kmc chains I've used :) Didn't realise you could use them on shimano chains too :)
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    I had the same problem recently on the London commuter, am taking it easy and seems to be bedding in, will replace cassette if doesn't sort itself out soon. That'll teach me to be a cheapskate (it's an 8 speed so probably only a few quid!)

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • neal1984
    neal1984 Posts: 240
    My brother informed me that yes, I have used split links before...on the kmc chains I've used :) Didn't realise you could use them on shimano chains too :)

No I didn't I informed you that you have used them on SRAM chains before and my next chain will be KMC which comes with the split link as I didn't rate my Ultegra chain. :D

Life is like riding a bicycle: you don't fall off unless you stop pedaling.

Scott Foil Team Issue HMX Di2
    Boardman Team Carbon LTD
  • Veronese68 wrote:

I'm slightly embarrassed to say that after years of swearing by KMC quicklinks, the last two new chains (both KMC 10-93s and both in the last two weeks) I've fitted have been absolute pigs to get the quicklink to close. On both occasions I've had to sit on the bike and stand on the pedal to get it to work. This is a new chain/quicklink perfectly clean and not bent. To cap it all I fitted the last chain on Saturday, went out for a ride and it started jumping gears. It was a new cassette so checked the chain and the quicklink was stiff. I manipulated and loosened it off and it was ok for about 5 miles then started jumping again. I headed home but had to go up a short steep hill, the chain was jumping and then a sharp crack, I kind of hoped it was the link but soon realised something was amiss in the back, stopped and I'd broken a spoke (at the nipple)
    Thinking about it afterwards, I think it's possible it was the jumping chain shock loading the wheel?
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    I'm slightly embarrassed to say that after years of swearing by KMC quicklinks, the last two new chains (both KMC 10-93s and both in the last two weeks) I've fitted have been absolute pigs to get the quicklink to close. On both occasions I've had to sit on the bike and stand on the pedal to get it to work. This is a new chain/quicklink perfectly clean and not bent. To cap it all I fitted the last chain on Saturday, went out for a ride and it started jumping gears. It was a new cassette so checked the chain and the quicklink was stiff. I manipulated and loosened it off and it was ok for about 5 miles then started jumping again. I headed home but had to go up a short steep hill, the chain was jumping and then a sharp crack, I kind of hoped it was the link but soon realised something was amiss in the back, stopped and I'd broken a spoke (at the nipple)
    Thinking about it afterwards, I think it's possible it was the jumping chain shock loading the wheel?
    11-speed quick link on 10-speed chain?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • veronese68
    I once had a similar problem with an 8 speed chain on Sketchley's old bike. Couldn't get it to join, eventually he stood on it and it snapped into place. but wouldn't move at all once fitted. It was then that I measured it and realised it was a 9 speed link packaged with an 8 speed chain. No wonder it didn't fit properly. Felt really stupid once I'd worked it out as with hindsight it was obvious. If only I could get hindsight before the event in future.
  • Hmm interesting, maybe so as I didn't check them, they came with the chains so assumed all would be correct. maybe my first mistake. What did David Brent say?......
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Hmm interesting, maybe so as I didn't check them, they came with the chains so assumed all would be correct. maybe my first mistake. What did David Brent say?......

but why wouldnt they come sized to the correct chains, that just seems awkward...I mean my chain slips/skips under load sometimes but the LBS said there was nothing wrong with it, but Ive never checked the quick link was correct size, in the past theyve been a pita to disconnect but never thought anything of it.
  • No points for guessing that ze Germans do it better. Wippermann´s Connex links are an absolute, curse-free doddle to fit and can be reused infinitely, unlike KMC. I´ve had a KMC link seize on me.

http://www.connexchain.com/en/product/connex-link.html

Being paranoid, I carry a spare connector taped around a mini-pump in case the chain snaps. A couple of years ago a mate and I were in the middle of nowhere in the Austrian mountains when he snapped his chain. Thanks to the Wippermann connector, we were on our way again in less than a minute.
  • cookeeemonster
    Just for the record - fitted new cassette, problem 100% solved :)

All is good in the world now ;)
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    No points for guessing that ze Germans do it better. Wippermann´s Connex links are an absolute, curse-free doddle to fit and can be reused infinitely, unlike KMC. I´ve had a KMC link seize on me.

http://www.connexchain.com/en/product/connex-link.html

Being paranoid, I carry a spare connector taped around a mini-pump in case the chain snaps. A couple of years ago a mate and I were in the middle of nowhere in the Austrian mountains when he snapped his chain. Thanks to the Wippermann connector, we were on our way again in less than a minute.

+1 for the Wippermann, it's all I would ever use. I've used it on Shimano, Connexe, KMC & Campag chains, never had an issue.

Very easy to fit/refit, just make sure that you realise there is a right way round to fit it. If you are fitting the link to the top section of your chain on the bike, the cut out should resemble a heart shape the correct way up. This is IMPORTANT.