Should i upgrade a 2004 MTB?

xtac12345
xtac12345 Posts: 7
edited March 2015 in MTB general
I have a 2004 Specialized S works with full XTR groupset of the same year and was wondering if it is worth to upgrade it to maybe a XT 2 x 10 groupset.

Was thinking of replacing them as most of it is worn out and all scratched up. Even the stickers on the Mavic rims are peeling off.

Or am i better off just doing a normal servicing, replacing the chain and cables and keep riding it or purchase a brand new bike instead.

Any advice?

Comments

• paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I had a 2001 Heckler until last summer which I ran with new forks, wheels and drivetrain - was a fine bike and my hardtail is from 2005. Despite the comment above that bikes have come along way in 10 years, it's does not alter the fact that your S works is still a great xc bike. Give it some love! Drivetrain in 2x10 would be good, discs if you can fit them, maybe a new fork if you can find an appropriate one to fit.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    New XT transmission will be a good upgrade. Even the new Deore groupsrt will probable be better.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If the rest of the bike is up to it, then yes!

My last frame was a 2006, it's replacement a 2007, but I'm looking to upgrade the forks as although the 2006 forks are good, they can no longer give me the confidence to lean in the front now I've got faster, but that depends what forks you have!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.