XT 3x10 to 1x10

dynebaruk
dynebaruk Posts: 75
edited April 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm looking to convert my XT 3x10 crankset to a 1x10.

The part I'm confused about...

If I get a raceface nw or hope retainer and use the existing cranks will i need spacers or shorter bolts etc? If so... which ones?

Cheers
Jon

Comments

• BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    Possibly...

I just got away with no spacers and existing bolts with an AboluteBlack ring on my XT cranks. You could pop in some thin spacers to bring the ring in a little and help with the chainline otherwise. Any spacers or shorter bolts will do.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • cborrman
    cborrman Posts: 125
    I have the absolute black rings which can use an even longer bolt, but for the sram rings I user shorter singlespeed bolts bought for peanuts from mix of crc and ebay
    s-works stumpy FSR, sl2 tarmac, siglespeed rockhopper and a bog standard allez
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    You could pop in some thin spacers to bring the ring in a little and help with the chainline otherwise.

No need to adjust the chainline with a triple, unlike a double the middle ring lines up with the middle of the cassette.
  • gregwari
    gregwari Posts: 230
    Existing cranks, middle ring position. Either buy shorter bolts or fit with shims or a bashguard
  • dynebaruk
    dynebaruk Posts: 75
    Thanks for the replies, conversion went fine with just shorter bolts. I used the E-Thirteen ones if anyone is interested, pricey but went for quality:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/e-th ... -prod66378