Raceblade longs almost caused an off

redvision
redvision Posts: 2,958
edited March 2015 in Road general
Had quite an unnerving incident today with my front mudguard. Due to no clearance I have been using raceblade longs. I was aware of the issues and complaints about these prior to purchase but decided needs must and bought a set.

Apart from constant vibration & noise they had, until today, been ok. BUT, this morning, whilst starting a descent I know well, the front extension snapped! The road is smooth and I hadn't hit any pot holes or anything, was just building up speed when I heard a really loud vibration and click from the front guard. I slowed down and all of a sudden the extension flap (juts out from the front brake to stop spray) snapped and wedged under the front brake. I have no idea how I didn't go over the bars. Thank god I had slowed!

Upon closer inspection the clamp plastic slot and locking button had completely broken off and so there was nothing left holding the guard.

Its worth noting these were bought just last Autumn, so were after the recall.

Anyway, I will be contacting SKS directly but wanted to warn anyone who uses these guards to be careful and aware of this.

Comments

• stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    I've had the same issue on the back, the clips catch all the grudge and give up after a while. It's probably safer to substitute the clips for something a bit more permanent such as a screw or glue, more hassle to make portable but ultimately avoids the issue
  • Did you check the bike before you set off? Maybe it would have been possible to notice the mount if you had?
  • redvision
    Did you check the bike before you set off? Maybe it would have been possible to notice the mount if you had?

Yes I did.
    I always check various bits before I set off, including the guards and the mounts/brackets. I also clean the bike after every ride . There was no crack or any sign of trouble.

Having done a quick search online it seems this is a well known issue :(
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    You need to carry out Fudgey's modification before you loose any more parts and to give you peace of mind.
    If you get a replacement set F.O.C. from SKS mod them before you fit them to your bike.

viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=13004887&p=19303216#p19303216
  • redvision
    DJ58 wrote:
    You need to carry out Fudgey's modification before you loose any more parts and to give you peace of mind.
    If you get a replacement set F.O.C. from SKS mod them before you fit them to your bike.

<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=13004887&p=19303216#p19303216</span&gt;

Thanks for the link.
    I was insisting i would never use them again after yesterday, even if i had a replacement set from SKS. But looking at that thread they look a lot more secure from Fudgey's modifications, so think i will be trying that - if i get a replacement set.

My bike doesn't have any clearance, even Cruds don't fit, hence why i went for these. Are there any alternatives available?
  • redvision wrote:
    Did you check the bike before you set off? Maybe it would have been possible to notice the mount if you had?

Yes I did.
    I always check various bits before I set off, including the guards and the mounts/brackets. I also clean the bike after every ride . There was no crack or any sign of trouble.

Having done a quick search online it seems this is a well known issue :(

Maybe a rock flew up and cracked it while riding, who knows. What a shame though!
  • dj58
    Redvision,
    There seems to be little choice in mudguards for bikes with tight fork/frame clearances, other than the ones you have tried, so if the long blades fit your bike and you do get a replacement set/parts, stick with modifying those.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I would also just use the one long flap for each wheel. The extender bits just add extra concern (more things to go wrong) for very little gain as most of the water gets dumped off at both of the brake bridges.
  • redvision
    DJ58 wrote:
    Redvision,
    There seems to be little choice in mudguards for bikes with tight fork/frame clearances, other than the ones you have tried, so if the long blades fit your bike and you do get a replacement set/parts, stick with modifying those.

Yeh, thats what i thought :cry:
    Given the lack of mudguards for little/no clearance bikes on the market i guess its harder to design them than one would imagine.

Saying that, after reading through the mod guide from Fudgey i think SKS should be contacting him about a job in their R&D section!
  • dj58
    It will be interesting to see what SKS come up with for the new version of race blade longs that they are working on.
  • ben-----
    ben----- Posts: 573
    I had the clips, both the main ones near the brakes and the ones near the wheel hubs, come detached, and a few times the guard followed the wheel round jamming between brakes and tyre bringing me to a sudden halt and because feet in toe clips, keeled over (onto soft grass thankfully). Got replacement parts from SKS. Still doesn't fix it properly because obviously there's a design flaw.

But I've found something which seems to pretty much fix the clips coming undone and it's super simple. I use little bits, fairly thin strips, of wood to wedge between the grey plastic tabs and the black plastic of what they sit it, thus making sure the grey clip handles stay bent out enough. Still rattles, but I haven't had them come lose with this. Bits of wood probably isn't the best thing but that's what was quickly to hand.
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    Glad my guide has been of use to some. I think I had used my raceblade longs only a few times until I read of stories of people having them fail so decided prevention was better than cure.

To OP glad you stayed upright!
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I have some which have been waiting a few months for me to put on my son's bike. Dont think I will now...

Like the workaround Fudgey but think that is too much work for me and he doesnt often ride when the conditions are really bad so will just keep running him with no guards for now I think.
  • fudgey
    apreading wrote:
    I have some which have been waiting a few months for me to put on my son's bike. Dont think I will now...

Like the workaround Fudgey but think that is too much work for me and he doesnt often ride when the conditions are really bad so will just keep running him with no guards for now I think.

Its not difficult really, well i guess it is if you dont have the tools etc.

maybe i should offer an SKS Raceblade Long modification service hahaha
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    edited March 2015
    The easy way is just to prise off the grey connector at the guard end, then slot the guard onto the metal connector at the brake bridge and cable tie the two together. Works well and can be easily removed at home by cutting the tie when needed.
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    Did the brake caliper get damaged?
  • redvision
    edited March 2015
    Just an update, had a response from SKS today and they are sending a whole new front guard! :D
    Cant ask for anything more from them really (apart from a better design to the mudguards), their CS has been excellent since i contacted them.
    Fudgey wrote:
    Its not difficult really, well i guess it is if you dont have the tools etc.
    maybe i should offer an SKS Raceblade Long modification service hahaha

I think you need to sell your modifications to SKS designers!! :lol:
    I will definitely be following your instructions when I get the new guard, thanks again for posting them.
    Manc33 wrote:
    Did the brake caliper get damaged?
    Not really, there is a scratch underneath but they operate fine
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Having used Salmon low pro aluminium guards in the past and also raceblades I'm not a fan of cramming mudguards onto close clearance race frames. The occasional skip from a wheel as something gets dragged up by the tyre and forced through the paper thin gap was always a bit worrying at speed. It's better to either put up with a wet bum or have a second bike with proper mudguard clearances IMO.
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    edited March 2015
    I'm the same, I would rather get wet than risk it.

Riding over stuff like old rags would scare me the most if I had a front mudguard on.

Getting wet is better than getting hurt. :)

If I did put something on it would be one of those crud catcher things under the downtube, that is enough to stop chin splatter. At the back I just use an Ass Saver. It cuts about 80% out but I admit its not like having a full one.
  • fudgey
    There are other options about for low clearance frames, but they are mega expensive. I was reluctant to pay the £35 or whatever it was for the rbl's, especially after a few rides to cut them up to make them safe.

I can see a small market for affordable safe low clearance mudguards... Hmm, keep an eye on dragons den in the future... Maybe hahaha
  • fudgey
    Manc33 wrote:
    I'm the same, I would rather get wet than risk it.

Riding over stuff like old rags would scare me the most if I had a front mudguard on.

Getting wet is better than getting hurt. :)

If I did put something on it would be one of those crud catcher things under the downtube, that is enough to stop chin splatter. :lol: At the back, just use an Ass Saver.

Its not all just about keeping yourself dryer tho, i have some mates that i ride with who didnt have guards, in the rain that was dangerous from the spray off of them going in your face etc.

Plus my bike is white and arse to keep clean..