camera

Markasaurus
Markasaurus Posts: 17
edited March 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi

I'm cycling in france later this year and want to be able to record for 4-5 hours. The GoPro's I've looked at seem to only offer 3 hours of recording, is there any you can recommend for 720p lasting this long?

Thanks

Comments

• dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    Sport Pursuit are selling garmin virb's for £87.99. They will do about 2.45 at 1080, buy a spare battery and swap it in when the other dies.

http://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/604759
  • mgoo
    mgoo Posts: 6
    I just have a spare battery for my GoPro. Besides unless you have a huge SD card, I doubt most cameras would last 5 hours so it will be the memory or battery life
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    To avoid disappointment, and as I suspect your trip may be a bit special, well worth carrying spare memory card and battery. They are quite small and don't weigh much. That's what I did with my Virbe for last year's Maratona. Just got to remember to keep an eye on it!

Peter
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Th virb will beep when the battery is getting low and I assume the same when the card is getting close to full too though I've never managed to fill my 64Gb card up in one ride yet. It's the battery that goes first.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Thanks all for the comments. The garmin virb is a great deal at that price, thanks for the link I wasn't aware about that site

I appreciate the advice
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    Worth keeping an eye on Amazon (use camelcamel to track and alert) as this http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00EWJQ0Y0? was £109 earlier this week - A Virb, second battery and bike handlebar mount.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    Just had a closer look - I got the last one, and Amazon themselves are still listing at £109 with a 1-4 week lead time. The £191 price is via Sigma.

For camelcamel see http://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Garmin-Vi ... B00EWJQ0Y0

Does anyone know if the resolution changes battery drain?

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    I got the Virb Elite on Amazon a few weeks back for £109 and it has GPS built in so may sell the 200 - Bargain!

Anyone have sound issues with the Virb? Put it on my MTB and all I can hear is vibration and brake noise. Voices are very muffled and quiet for some reason. Have mine on the handlebar mount.
  • I opted for the Virb via sportspursuit (thanks for the link - I wasn't aware of that site!).

I'll keep an eye on the virb elite and if it drops again will get that instead
  • I went for the Garin Virb from Sport Pursuit seems a bargain price, the spare battery is a good idea
    Jamis Xenith Endura Sport 2012
    Boardman Race 2013
    Genesis Equilibrium 2014 (Built myself)
    Boardman Comp MTB 2016
  • After reading some reviews and some research I'm going to go for the Virb elite and have cancelled my order for the Garmin virb (sportspursuit have been really nice about it)

So now to order or wait for a price drop! :?: :!: