On one Pickenflick first ride review

banditvic
banditvic Posts: 549
edited March 2015 in Road general
Just had my Pickenflick delivered on Friday from Planet x in a huge box, just had to straighten and untie handlebars also peeled the On one stickers off as they hadn't been put on that well.
When I ordered it up I was going to use it mainly as a road bike so had ordered up a Sram Rival 22 50/34 Compact chainset to match rest of groupset this comes with Hydraulic Discs. Was a bit concerned as I had read that it may not be possible to fit bigger rings due to clearance but there was no problem all fitted fine.
The only other change is fitting some GP4000 11 in 28mm width.
Moved stem down 2 spacers and away I went, was a little worried about the Planet x seat, looked a little plasticky and felt hard, only done 40 miles on it but it felt fine.
Ride quality was superb, very comfortable and the handling was equal to my Cannondale Hi mod or even better, don't know if that's down to tyre width or what. Previously had a Van Nik Yukon which I didn't like the handling on.
Was also considering on changing the Cassette from the original 11-32 to a 11-28 I usually run a 53/39 Chainset on my lighter bikes but am happy with the compact and will keep the 11-32 after riding the bike on a hilly course, obviously not as fast climbing as my Evo but copped admirably.
Everything else on it seemed ok even though it is own brand On one stuff.
Braking modulation is superb, what you loose on the climbs you will get back on the descents. Only things not spot on is slight sponginess to rear brake and shifting to a lower gear with right hand shifter felt stiffer than my Red, may be due to Rival rear mech or cable routing.
Ride time similar but slower to my Evo on a 40 mile hilly ride but did get a very good time on one descent.
Never usually write a review on bikes but was well impressed a Joe public 10/10.

Comments

• Trek44
    Trek44 Posts: 1
    Did it come with single front ring and therefore no left hand gear change paddle or front derailleur?
  • banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    No standard Double 46/36 rings was worried that 50/34 may have hit on chainstays as others have said they may well have changed the design this year, if it had mudguard eyelets it would be a great winter trainer.