Torque spanner?

Bwgan
Bwgan Posts: 389
edited March 2015 in Workshop
Hi

I need a 15mm torque spanner for my Garmin Vector pedals. They have to be tightened to a specific torque to give exact an exact watt reading. Anyone know where I can get something from that doesn't cost a fortune?

Cheers

Comments

• crossed
    crossed Posts: 237
    You could try the Park Tools one. You can get them from Halfords for a decent price and use the BC 10% discount on top of it.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/tools-m ... que-wrench
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    The Halfords one is no good - you need a wrench with a 15mm open ended spanner fitting - and these are expensive as they're not that common - a "normal" torque wrench only works with sockets, not open jawed fittings. So you'll either need to spring for a proper tool (£55-£75 by the look of it) or get yr LBS to fit and torque them for you.
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    You need one of these

http://toolstoday.co.uk/teng-15mm-crow- ... oCRuTw_wcB

And a 3/8" drive torque wrench if you don't already own one. Be aware that a lot of torque wrenches only measure torque in one direction for torquing up a bolt, for a pair of pedals with opposite threads you need to be able to measure torque both ways so finding a cheap torque wrench is more difficult.
  • Do the pedal spindles have a hex fitting on the end? If so then you can use a normal torque wrench
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Do the pedal spindles have a hex fitting on the end? If so then you can use a normal torque wrench

Not on vectors
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Decent torque wrenches that cover the range required by the Vectors do cost a bit, I'm afraid.
    You need a wrench that will 'torque' both directions of course... that adds...nds pedal obviously tightens up leftie.
    It is all a bit awkward with a crowfoot and either a beam or normal wrench and tbh I just do it by feel with a good quality pedal spanner eg a leyzyn with a bottle opener facility to open up a beer for a good job done.
    I practise on the drive side as my wrenchonly does one direction.. but it is the knack of getting the pods into the correct position at the end of it that will cause you some frustration at first.... dont break a pod!
  • Bwgan
    Bwgan Posts: 389
    Cheers for the responses guys, if it was a one off fitting to the bike it would be ok, but I want to take it off from the training bike and put it on the TT bike