buckled tyres

joekerr
joekerr Posts: 19
edited April 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
hi all..a couple of weeks ago I fell of my bike and noticed the wheel was buckled really bad.but when I got home I noticed the wheel was straight as it should be , it turns out it was the tyre..never had a buckled tyre before...

continental xking 2,2 almost new

question is , is this a common problem with continental tyres ? or all tyres ?
and is there a way to fix it without buying new tyres or is that the end of the tyre ?

never had any problems like this with other tyres , usualy bought specialized,expected continentals to be great :(

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Tyres don't buckle. Not seated right or rolled off the rim a bit?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    As Cooldad said, deflate it put the bead into the centre channel and reinflate, should do the trick if your tubeless youll need to re seal etc
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Actually tyres can buckle/warp. I've seen it happen a few times with Maxis and Continental. I've heard of others doing it too but Continental are the worst for it from what I've seen. The beads are seated properly but the tyre jumps all over the place even with a perfectly true rim.

If it is warped there isn't a fix. The shop should replace it under warranty though as it's not meant to happen. Just make sure you take it in still fitted to the wheel so they can see the problem.
  • joekerr
    tyres do buckle ,when I get chance I will make video, I have taken the tyre off and on so many times,even on new rims ,blown upto the max 60 psi then deflated.also used washin up liqud.the buckle will not go away...
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Why not just take it back?
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    i've seen tyres not seated properly as someone else stated above - can normally tell by looking at the tyre as it joins the rim - sometimes it's still too far in, can be coaxed out gently with special pliers or refit the tyre and pump up again
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    peter413 wrote:
    Actually tyres can buckle/warp. I've seen it happen a few times with Maxis and Continental. I've heard of others doing it too but Continental are the worst for it from what I've seen. The beads are seated properly but the tyre jumps all over the place even with a perfectly true rim.

If it is warped there isn't a fix. The shop should replace it under warranty though as it's not meant to happen. Just make sure you take it in still fitted to the wheel so they can see the problem.

This

I have done it myself to some Conti Race Kings by landing a jump slightly funny
  • I find folding tyres come with a bit of warp as they are zip tied up for so long. I usually leave them on a flat surface in a warm room for a few hours before fitting to let them "rest".

Possibly does feck all, but I like to think it works.
  • joekerr
    I didn't take it back because I bought it at evans :) and have no receipt. I have kept it for the new tyres tho and now will always keep receipt :)
  • Yep, same with my front HR2. Had a slight wobble after an OTB, presumed it was the wheel. Had a bigger OTB and thought I trashed the wheel as it barely pass through the fork.

It didn't matter which way it was seated didn't make A difference. Got it off of eBay and the maxxis contact didn't seem to interested other than explaining how to inflate a tyre.
    '14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
    OnOne Codeine 29er
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I had a tyre that absolutely refused to seat the first time I used it until it hit nearly 90psi.....did go with a bang....since then it's seated at a more acceptable 40psi.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • joekerr
    90 psi :) I dare not go this far ....it was seated perfect until I fell off . now it will not go on str8.

here is the video

http://youtu.be/Oy0f7Y-qJV0

I have taken this wheel to the lbs and they cannot see any problems with it been seated wrong
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    One of my conti x king supersonics buclked. Not happy about that as it was a really good tyre until that point.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • joekerr
    ok the video isn't the best quality. but it is seated properly..i have taken this wheel to the shop as it is , they see no problems with seating , the tyre is buckled laying the tyre flat on floor you can see it .sent it back to continental as requested,just hope they find a problem and fix it or I for one will not be buying conti`s again in the future...

thecycleclinic...you should have emailed conti and asked them why it buckled,they seem very helpful.they told me I could have taken it back to the store , but it was 8 months old (bit cheeky taking back to store I think),so they asked me to mail the tyre to them for them to check out.. will keep you all posted on what happens with conti..
  • joekerr
    well I finaly heard back from continental."the carcass is broken we will send you a new tyre".so they have posted out a new tyre to me , but I would rather they told me that it was a fault with this tyre, but it sounds like all conti`s are capable of buckling,probably all or most makes of tyre I guess..for the £12,50 postage I could have just gone up the road to Halfords an bought a new one on offer at £10.i wont bother complaining again :)
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Haha, sometimes it’s more effort than it’s worth but at least Conti didn’t just fob you off!

2 of the 8 or 10 Schwalbes I’ve had have been warped from new. They’re known to be pretty bad for it. Never bothered me enough to complain though as they still seemed to work as intended.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • joekerr
    that doesn't sound good for Schwalbes,mine was so buckled it affected the wheel.kinda expected conti to laugh at me or tell me it was just a weak tyre ,tell me something :)
    can you buy thicker stronger walled mtb tyres.?. this would be a good idea
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You can, but thicker/stronger also means heavier and less compliant (which affects comfort and grip) so you pays your money......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    CitizenLee wrote:
    2 of the 8 or 10 Schwalbes I’ve had have been warped from new. They’re known to be pretty bad for it. Never bothered me enough to complain though as they still seemed to work as intended.

No they're not. I've had at least 30, and know many friends sponsored by them and I've never seen a single one do it! Not saying it can't/doesn't happen, but certainly not something they're "known for".

I had a Hutchinson road tyre develop a random fault like that last year, and I've seen several Contis do it too - side load the tyre enough and you will deform the carcass.