Schwalbe tubulars

jordan_217
jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
edited March 2015 in Road buying advice
I need to buy a new tub. Fancy something different from my usual choice of Conti Competitions and the Schwalbe HT Ultremos and the Ones seem to fit the bill.

Has anyone got any experience of either, please?
“Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Had several sets of HT's. Fantastic tubs. Fairly robust with fantastic grip and a really nice ride.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • jordan_217
    Grill wrote:
    Had several sets of HT's. Fantastic tubs. Fairly robust with fantastic grip and a really nice ride.

Thanks Grill. I recalled someone on here had a positive experience of Schwalbe tubs and I thought it might be you but wasn't 100%.

I've ordered the One as it seems to be an updated version of the Ultremo and I wanted a 24mm. The sites where the 24mm was in stock, the One was cheaper than the Ultremo by £5-10.

A bit gutted really as I've only had 2 races out of my Conti Competition and I had a pothole induced blow out in the first race - the Tufo sealant I used to repair has clogged and solidified in the valve core. I punctured yesterday thanks to a nice sharp flint and I can't clear the valve core to get some more sealant in.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    How much are the Schwalbes, out of curiousity? I try not to pay more than £40 each for my tubs...
  • jordan_217
    How much are the Schwalbes, out of curiousity? I try not to pay more than £40 each for my tubs...

I paid £45 from Wiggle. There are sites selling the Ultremo HT's at £40 but they are for 22mm's. J E James, for example.

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/schwalbe ... oCNRbw_wcB
  • Grill
    The Ultremos are better than the Ones in tubular. Latex > butyl
  • jordan_217
    Grill wrote:
    The Ultremos are better than the Ones in tubular. Latex > butyl

Really? Where is that info please? I can't see it on any of the descriptions, even on Schwalbe's site.

I can see the HT uses a latex from older reviews but can't see anything on the One.
  • Grill
    Can't find it, but I'm sure I've read it. Still, that's not as bad as going from 300tpi to 127tpi.
  • jordan_217
    Grill wrote:
    Can't find it, but I'm sure I've read it. Still, that's not as bad as going from 300tpi to 127tpi.

:( I really didn't think this through…obviously new and improved means we've made it 5hi77er!

Ultremo about to be ordered….
  • Grill
    You won't be disappointed. I ordered a case of 10 when I heard they'd be discontinued.
  • jordan_217
    Grill wrote:
    You won't be disappointed. I ordered a case of 10 when I heard they'd be discontinued.

Ordered. I'll be able to return via Collect + so can at least compare the two.

Thanks Grill :)
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    Just managed to pick up a pair of brand new Vittoria Crono CS tubs in 24mm for 72 Euros.

170g, 320tpi, ISOgrip. I'll save these for fast summer runs!
  • Grill
    Just managed to pick up a pair of brand new Vittoria Crono CS tubs in 24mm for 72 Euros.

170g, 320tpi, ISOgrip. I'll save these for fast summer runs!

Fantastic tubs but they only last about 300k.