Inner tubes for 23mm tyres on HED Belgium Plus

86inch
86inch Posts: 161
edited March 2015 in Road buying advice
As per the title really...
I've got some HED Belgium Plus wheels on the way.. courtesy of Malcolm at the Cycle Clinic.

I intend to run these with some new 23mm Vittoria Open Corsa CX's i have spare until they wear out and then replace with 23mm tubeless tyres.
I have only 23mm inner tubes in stock but i suspect that i really need 25mm tubes as the tyres will reliably come up at 25mm.
My only concern in doing this is that i might find it difficult to mount the tyre with more tube under it, but that might just be fallacy.

Can any of the wheel/tyre experts confirm my theory.

Comments

• Unconfirmed
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    86inch wrote:
    As per the title really...
    I've got some HED Belgium Plus wheels on the way.. courtesy of Malcolm at the Cycle Clinic.

I intend to run these with some new 23mm Vittoria Open Corsa CX's i have spare until they wear out and then replace with 23mm tubeless tyres.
    I have only 23mm inner tubes in stock but i suspect that i really need 25mm tubes as the tyres will reliably come up at 25mm.
    My only concern in doing this is that i might find it difficult to mount the tyre with more tube under it, but that might just be fallacy.

Can any of the wheel/tyre experts confirm my theory.

Inner tubes are made of rubber - they will stretch.
  • 86inch
    86inch Posts: 161
    Imposter wrote:

Inner tubes are made of rubber - they will stretch.

Dear o dear... strangely i am aware of this fact, but if there truly was one-size-fits-all, then there would be no need for different sized tubes, like those for my 36mm touring tyres.
    I had at least expected some sensible answers :roll:
  • I run tubes rated 23 to 28 on 32c tyres with no problems so based on my experience I'd risk it.
  • john1967
    john1967 Posts: 366
    imposter is correct. innertubes cover a range of sizes,just select an innertube which covers the width of tyre your using.You will easily find a tube which covers 23 and 25mm ranges.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    86inch wrote:
    I had at least expected some sensible answers :roll:

I would never joke about something as serious as inner tubes...
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    I use Michelin 700 x 22-23c latex tubes with 25mm tyres, no problems stretching to fit the larger tyre.