Upgrade 11 speed wheel rear der. Adjust

cborrman
cborrman Posts: 125
edited March 2015 in Workshop
I have a 10 speed bike (2009) with sram red and perfect working rear gears on 10 speed mavic wheels.

Have just upgraded to newer 11 speed wheels, installed all as before, with spacer for 10 speed casette on 11 speed feehubbed wheels

Rear der. Is either slightly left or slightly right and needs either slightly more or slightly less tension....

...anybody any guesss / experience of this?

Cannot think which way the casssette has shifted. It does not jump off the cassettte in high of low.
s-works stumpy FSR, sl2 tarmac, siglespeed rockhopper and a bog standard allez

Comments

• trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Sound like you need to re-adjust the limit screws. The cassette will not be in exactly the same place as before.
  • Yeah you'll probably have to completely re-adjust the rear dérailleur, it isn't that difficult though and there are plenty of guides/videos on the internet showing how to do it. Sounds like as trailflow said you'll have to re-adjust the limit screws so the derailleur lines up under the cassette, an 11-speed freehub body is probably off in both dimensions.

It's also possible your old wheels were already 11-speed compatible, Mavic have been shipping 11-speed wheels for a good number of years now with spacers on. Either massive foresight on their part or, more likely, a happy coincidence.
  • cborrman
    cborrman Posts: 125
    Thanks both, good point deadly radish; I will try the wider mavic spacer first! Otherwise, for me, der adjustment is a trip to the workshop...
    s-works stumpy FSR, sl2 tarmac, siglespeed rockhopper and a bog standard allez