Which valve extenders?

londoncommuter
londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
edited March 2015 in Road buying advice
I've just got some 38mm clinchers and have needed to order some longer valve tubes. Could be wrong but I think I'll get away with 52mm rather than 60mm so they're on the way from Wiggle. Sounds like a good idea though to take an emergency valve extender out in case you get through all your spare tubes and patches and need to borrow a tube which might have a short stem.

Which extenders are the ones to go for? They'd have to work with a wide variety of tubes (threaded/non-threaded, removable/non-removable cores) and ideally work without needing PTFE tape or any faffing. Cheap as possible I guess as hopefully they'll never get used but not so cheap that I'll be stranded in the middle of nowhere! Many thanks for any tips.

They're as cheap as 99p at PlanetX but no idea if these are for removable cores or not:

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WSPXVE/pla ... e-extender

Comments

• londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    Sorry to bump my own post but I was hoping to have been deluged with helpful hints from those of you who have used valve extenders. There seem to be a million available but I don't want to find out at the side of the road that I've gone for the wrong ones! Just for emergency use with as wide of range of tubes as possible and hopefully no funnies that mean they won't work with a particular rim or something I've not thought of.

Many thanks
  • noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    Take a look at the RSP ones on ebay. Been using them for a few years now.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • These work for tubes without removable cores:

0055603_lezyne_presta_valve_extender_70mm_pair.jpeg

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/p/1874 ... tAodKVUAPw
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    I've been using the Conti ones for a few years now on 50mm tubs. No problems whatsoever.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    On the basis that you're using them to just get you home, then most would do the job... If you're going to leave them on longer then PTFE tape is worth using.
    I've got Conti ones on my Boras which work really well and Topeak ones on my deep Planet X rims which don't. The Topeak ones look very clever as they allow you open and close the valve from the extender but in practice they have a tendency to fall apart leaving you with at least an hour spent shaking, rattling and poking stuff inside the rim to try and remove bits of valve extender.
  • iron-clover
    iron-clover Posts: 737
    I currently have some Vittoria tubs with non removable cores which just clear my rim but not enough for good purchase with a track pump so I also needed valve extenders that screw onto a valve rather than core extenders. (I can also remove them when I'm finished inflating)

I would avoid the Topeak extender as the thread is made of a thick rubber sleeve that may not even be glued into the metal barrel of the extender so I've had a couple of occasions where pressure has blown the metal extender attached to the pump hose off like a tethered rocket leaving the rubber still screwed onto the valve. After some super glue it hasn't happened again but I wouldn't trust it out in the sticks.

I now use lifeline extenders, although you have to take care you don't lose the small rubber o-ring that can fall out of the base of the extender. You might be able to just superglue it in but I just leave mine on the tub valves so they won't get lost.
  • I've used the Topeak versions, don't seem to like being inflated over 5 bar
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles